Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin Black and White Facsimiles: General discussion

Page  Page 3 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

ectoplasm
#21 · Posted: 2 Jun 2004 17:38
Hear hear. So Harrock, are you saying that Michael Turner and Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper are doing translations for Casterman that are different from the Last Gasp translations? Or are Last Gasp buying the translations from Casterman and these are bypassing Egmont entirely? If so then presumably Egmont are only interested in the colour Congo. Also, is your interview with the legendary translators online anywhere? I'd love to read it.

Chevet - I''ve always liked newspaper strips, so i'd love to buy Unicorn and Rackham facsimiles from Le Soir. I don't buy pirate editions on principle, but the fact that there are pirate editions shows there must be a demand, which Moulinsart should meet.
rastapopoulos
#22 · Posted: 3 Jun 2004 09:28
Why oh why does England get completely forgotten when it comes to translated Tintin books? Herge was a self confessed Anglophile, and England has adopted Tintin (i was brought up on it and have no french or belgian relatives whatsoever). Lets get a petition going to get these facsimilies published!!!
jock123
#23 · Posted: 3 Jun 2004 10:14
We're swerving off topic again,but to address the issues raised above...

England (by which I take it you mean the U.K....?) isn't "completely forgotten" - we've already got the bulk of the books available in English editions, and have had for many years.

Congo has been a hot potato due to the nature of the content, and is a special case.
I myself am not black, and hesitate to speculate as to how I would react to it if I were, but I can see that there are issues there, and I can see why Methuen avoided it. The reprint of the B&W edition was presumably deemed by Methuen to be not something they wished to carry either, and I can respect that point of view.

However, Last Gasp took it upon themselves, as a publisher of specialty, historical and niche comics aimed squarely at collectors and comic-historians, to bring out the English translation - which presumably was supplied to them by Casterman.

As far as can be told, Casterman are behind the translation of the rest of the facsimile albums (although it is unknown whether this includes the Tintin magazine version of Prisoners - I can't recall it being mentioned anywhere), and they are determined for these to be available by the centenary of Hergé's birth in 2007.

As the new publisher, and with a history of comic publishing across Europe, Egmont would seem to be a likely home for these books, but they may be Last Gasp in the US.

Maybe I'm just an optimist, but things are on the up, as I look at them!! Now if we can just get Totor, Mr Mopps and the odds and ends of stuff out too, I'll be even happier, and considerably lighter in the pocket!

Can't think of how to get back on topic, so I'll sign off before I go any further.
rastapopoulos
#24 · Posted: 3 Jun 2004 12:25
Jock, im talking about the many reference books that the French have, such as the Hergé - Chronologie d'une Œuvre series or Hergé mon Ami, found in the Tintin Shop...

There are so many books available on the continent about Hergé and his creations, I just wish they were published over here (UK).
I do have all the Tintin adventures including the black & white versions of Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin in the Congo which I purchased in the early 90's.

I'm anticipating reading the other albums in black & white - it's frustrating that the Americans get them first!
jockosjungle
#25 · Posted: 3 Jun 2004 13:31
Well you could order it from Amazon.com and get it sent, or maybe the Tintin shop or a fan (maybe one of us) could order a boxful and send them out, maybe it'd be cheaper that way? I could look into it if anyone is interested.

Anyone got a list of what is being published by last gasp? Could only see Cigars of the Pharaoh on amazon.com

Rik
Big Ren
#26 · Posted: 3 Jun 2004 17:35
Is it certain that Last Gasp will be the publishers of the America and Cigars English facsimiles? It's just that looking at their online catalogue it seems that they are just the U.S. distributors for many Tintin books published in Europe. (I realise that Amazon.com lists Last Gasp as the publisher of Cigars).
Harrock n roll
#27 · Posted: 3 Jun 2004 17:43
They've already done Soviets and Congo but America has been overdue for months now, see Amazon

As for Cigars, we'll have to wait and see...
Harrock n roll
#28 · Posted: 9 Sep 2004 15:45
Going back to one of the original questions Jock asked: Would anyone else like to see a revision of the colour books, to follow the original order (especially as we will soon have all 24 volumes of the canon)?

Lots of people have said "leave the colour books as they are" and "true to Hergé's intentions" - well I think the facsimiles are truer to Hergé's intentions than the 'standard' copies which are available now. The paper has been downgraded to a very cheap type, which I think shows up the colours wrong - or I should say "not as originally intended". I have original English and French early editions of some of the albums and I must say the colours are better - even Red Rackham's Treasure looks good. The French facsimilies are even better than those early editions as Casterman went through and 'improved' it - nice pastely colours. However, it looks as though Casterman are stopping with "Tintin au Tibet" as the binding changes after that. I'd love to see English colour facsimilies with Neil Hyslop's original handscript.
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#29 · Posted: 9 Sep 2004 17:35
Casterman doesn't intend to stop the color facsimile serie .This will continue with at least Tintin in America (some black people have been changed), the Shooting Star (Blumenstein replaced by Bolhwinkel). Maybee other titles will follow.

If you want to learn more about errors in the facsimiles and about all the work done by the publisher to try to be as close as possible from the original, look on the internet site of Casterman, specially the various comments of Etienne Pollet, the man who is responsible for Tintin at Casterman. Try for example, this link:
http://bd.casterman.com/catalogue/avis.php?i=2-203-01201-3
note: it is in French !!
Harrock n roll
#30 · Posted: 9 Sep 2004 18:42
Ah that's good, thanks chevet - I think I must have misread that Tibet is the last with the original tape binding before the printed spines came about. And very interesting from M. Pollet - so there will be more and "America" is next. I don't suppose anybody happens to know exactly when those changes were made to America (replacing Blacks)? I think they were made for Atlantic-Little, Brown in the 70s, but is it possible they were made earlier for Golden Press?

Page  Page 3 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!