Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

What is Thompson's name in Slovakian?

marsbar
#1 · Posted: 8 May 2006 11:52
This is a question member chevet asked me some time ago, a question to which I have not been able to find the answer: what is Thompson's name in Slovakian - is it Thomson?
SingingGandalf
#2 · Posted: 9 May 2006 16:07
I don't think this post will be answered in a while, considering I doubt very few people here own a Slovakian Tintin book, and even if they do, this post may be lost in the bowels of the Tintinologist archive posts?

what is Thompson's name in Slovakian - is it Thomson?

Err... Do you mean 'is it Thompson?

When I find a Slovakian Tintin book (so far I have English, French, German, Basque, Catalan and Mandarin Chinese) I hope I remember this post. I like rummaging through the 'archive posts', maybe I'll find it?
marsbar
#3 · Posted: 10 May 2006 05:18
SingingGandalf wrote: Err... Do you mean 'is it Thompson?

No, I mean Thomson. Quoting chevet's original question: "What is Thompson's name in Slovakian - is it Thomson?"
jock123
#4 · Posted: 10 May 2006 10:33
Hmm… a bit of a poser…

I wonder if chevet might expand on it a little: does he mean that the names of the detectives have been swapped over (in relation to their moustaches, as it were) so that Thomson is Thompson and Thompson is Thomson, or that both detectives are called Thomson?

SingingGandalf
I doubt very few people here own a Slovakian Tintin book
All it takes is one… ;-)

Sponz is usually our top man for foreign titles out there, so perhaps if the Colonel is reading this, he could resolve it?
JanP
#5 · Posted: 7 Dec 2014 12:35
Hello ,
I accidentally came across this forgotten topic and I can say that I have the answer. I also found this site and the data is inaccurate.

But first things first. There are actually three books with official Slovak translations.

The first two were published in 1994 by Egmont Neografia - The Crab with the Golden Claws under the name Krab so zlatymi klepetami, and The Secret of The Unicorn under the name Tajomstvo Jednorozca.

The publisher probably realized that the comics market in our country is too small, and more books would not be profitable. It is also true, that we understand Czech language, so it would be suicide to compete with Czech translations.

These two books were probably translated from English, and so the translator used those names - Thomson and Thompson, Snowy, etc. - although Captain Haddock became "Kapitan Treska".

Despite that, one more translation was published in 2005. It was King Ottokar's Sceptre under the name Zezlo krala Otakara. It was published by the Belgian publisher Casterman, with the help of the Slovak publisher Enigma, the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the French Institute of Bratislava.
In this case, it was translated from French, by a whole team of translators - students of the Faculty of Education on Comenius University in Bratislava.

And in this book, Thomson and Thompson were translated as Horvat and Horvath, which are very common Slovak last names.

So it took 8 years to answer this question, but here we are.

Have a nice day.

JanP
jock123
#6 · Posted: 8 Dec 2014 09:22
Well thanks for sorting out that for us, JanP! I said that it would only take one person who knew to give us the answer...! ;-)

Just a little supplementary question - does the name "Treska" mean anything? Is the translation the name of a fish?

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!