Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: facial expression

miloumuttmitt
#1 · Posted: 17 Jun 2004 04:02
In the Blue Lotus, Tintin has more facial expression than in the others. It is not an "early" thing, because I read Tintin in the Congo, the first one, and there was less expression on Tintin's face than there was in the Blue Lotus.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 17 Jun 2004 06:32
Yeah, I noticed that.
In Soviets and Congo Tintin doesn't have eyebrows that often/if at all and he doesn't even have ears in some of the Soviets frames!
Jyrki21
#3 · Posted: 17 Jun 2004 14:49
The drawing style of the Blue Lotus is noticeably different from the other books, including the early ones. It uses a thinner line, and Tintin has a rounder face and more triangular mouth. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the color version was actually produced before a number of the other ones, was it not?

Also, if I remember, the parade scene in Tintin in America is drawn in the Blue Lotus style, but none of the rest of the book is!
GurraJG
#4 · Posted: 17 Jun 2004 18:11
Jyrki21
Also, if I remember, the parade scene in Tintin in America is drawn in the Blue Lotus style, but none of the rest of the book is!

In 1945, Tintin in America was completely redrawn, except for a few frames. And, if I remember correctly, the parade frame (pg. 62, fr. 2) was one of them.

-Gustav
Tintinrulz
#5 · Posted: 18 Jun 2004 05:50
Also The Blue Lotus only has thinner ink line drawings because they were reduced down from the original black and white version which on average was 2 to 3 frames across and three frames down. Where as the colour version is on average 3 to 4 frames across and four frames down.
OJG
#6 · Posted: 4 Aug 2004 20:27
Has anyone else noticed that in The Blue Lotus, the drawings of Tintin up to page 5 are different to the ones that begin on page 5. Presumeably the first 4 pages were re-drawn. I also noticed that the largw frame on page 6 with Tintin being carried by the Rickshaw man shows Tintin in the 'newer' style of drawing. I guess this is because this picture has been (and still is) used for posters and general publicity many times.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#7 · Posted: 4 Aug 2004 21:14
The original black-and-white 1934 version of this large frame on page 6 is only the size of the rest of the small frames on that page, and in fact shows Tintin riding in the rickshaw from behind. This was deleted and the new larger frame substituted in 1946 in order to fill up the page when the drawings were placed in the new format.
finlay
#8 · Posted: 9 Aug 2004 13:14
The colour version of The Blue Lotus was simply the black and white version with added colour; the other early ones were redrawn by Herge, iirc.
What I find weird is that the first couple of pages were redrawn then it changes to a seperate style.
Tintinrulz
#9 · Posted: 9 Aug 2004 14:00
I read somewhere that's because it was to be part of Cigars of the Pharaoh or something like that.
finlay
#10 · Posted: 12 Aug 2004 17:05
It's like a sequel to it, but not as tied to it as The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure and the like.
Originally they were "Tintin in the East" in Le Petit Vingtième.

This topic is closed.