Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Cigars & Black Island: Mistakes and anachronisms? [Locked]

fripp
#1 · Posted: 3 Jul 2004 11:12
I have noticed a few anachronisms and errors in Tintin. Can someone explain the following?

1. First page of Cigars of the Pharaoh, Snowy says "I'd settle for Marlinspike". This episode was written ten years before tintin got his greedy mitts on Marlinspike. How is that possible?

2. Also in the Cigars of the Pharaoh, tintin m eets Patrash Pasha whos shows him a copy of "Destination Moon" which was written twenty years later. It must have been re-drawed but what did he show him in the original version?

3. In The Black Island, tintin travels by an electric train through France. This episode was first published in 1938 but there where no electric trains in france until after the war. Another re-drawing?
marsbar
#2 · Posted: 4 Jul 2004 02:44
Welcome to our community, fripp!

fripp wrote: 1. First page of Cigars of the Pharaoh, Snowy says "I'd settle for Marlinspike". This episode was written ten years before tintin got his greedy mitts on Marlinspike. How is that possible?

By the time Cigars of the Pharaoh was redrawn in 1955, Marlinspike had already been introduced.

fripp wrote: 2. Also in the Cigars of the Pharaoh, tintin meets Patrash Pasha whos shows him a copy of "Destination Moon" which was written twenty years later. It must have been re-drawed but what did he show him in the original version?

Please refer to our guide to Cigars of the Pharaoh - trivia section #6.

fripp wrote: 3. In The Black Island, tintin travels by an electric train through France. This episode was first published in 1938 but there where no electric trains in france until after the war. Another re-drawing?

Yes, another re-drawing: the album was redrawn in 1965 when the electric train was no longer a novelty.
fripp
#3 · Posted: 4 Jul 2004 19:49
Thanks for that. That even explain the Hawker Siddeley Trident (last page of the black island) which came in trafic in 1964 (I'm a serious anorak).

This topic is closed.