Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Captain Haddock: His nationality?

Page  Page 3 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

#21 · Posted: 26 Feb 2005 20:04 · Edited by: Frankymole
I don't think a Jacobite would have been "in Charles II's merchant-marine", so the English (the language) translators may have intended him to be English (the nationality).

Herge certainly intended the modern Haddock to be British but who knows which country - maybe even Wales - his ancestor was certainly more a Henry Morgan than a Blackbeard ;o)
#22 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 16:57
I dont think Haddock would be welsh, though the Henry Morgan connection is credible. Hmm I dunno thou wouldnt Haddock call Tintin 'Boyo'.
Also if Haddock was from Scotland wouldnt he be proud of his nationality and wear a kilt on special occassions?
Does anyone know of Michael Turner and Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper's views on Haddocks Nationality.
#23 · Posted: 24 May 2005 03:31
I only have "Tintin and the Picaros" in English. Most of my Tintin books are in Spanish. Does anyone know what name they use in the Spanish editions?
#24 · Posted: 24 May 2005 05:19
I cannot speak Spanish, but here's a direct quote from the Spanish Wikipedia page for Haddock:

"Como curiosidad, los lectores no conocieron el nombre de pila del personaje sino hasta el último álbum que Hergé completó, Tintín y los Pícaros; aquí se presenta al capitán como Archibaldo"

There's our answer, I guess...
#25 · Posted: 24 May 2005 10:04
Also if Haddock was from Scotland wouldnt he be proud of his nationality and wear a kilt on special occassions?

As Galton and Simpson wrote in “The Blood Donor”: “We’re not all Rob Roys, Mr. Hancock…”

I am very proud of being Scottish, but the last time I wore a kilt I was 4 years old, and I’m now in my forties; I’m guessing that if you are English, no matter how proud you are, you rarely dress up as a Morris Man? ;-)

There is in fact a hardcore of Scots Nationalists who would probably see the kilt as a symbol of oppression and the English aristocracy, who more or less invented the “modern” Highland dress at the time of Prince Albert; they would favour the plaid, a sort of Scottish toga…
#26 · Posted: 24 May 2005 18:35 · Edited by: yamilah
Err... Haddock's 'nationality' might also just be 'esoteric': like Tintin (*), he might be neither a surname, nor a name, nor a family name, but be synonymous with some of his distinctive traits and be kind of a word-image that might empirically stand for two more 'distorted' syllables of the presumed 'rebus-like writing' (see this thread)...

(*) the official version about Tintin's origin, now removed from tintin.com by the way, is quoted in the thread 'Is Tintin a nickname'...
#27 · Posted: 14 Oct 2006 07:22
I think he is British ,since sir Francess Haddock's ship had a British flag.Also, where is marlinspike? the Mansion was given to sir Frances Haddock by the prime minister in the name of the king. Which prime minister and which king? The British it seems.But the surroundings of the mansion seem to be French.and what about the nationalities of the other characters, are they all french? thanks.
Shaggy Milou
#28 · Posted: 15 Oct 2006 03:24
It's pretty firmly established that Haddock is a Brit, though I imagine albeit a bilingual one if he indeed does speak to Tintin in French. This is proven not only from his naval lineage, but from the oft-quoted remark from Herge's wife likening him to "a sad English fish". And really, Haddock is just SUCH an English term!

As for locating Marlinspike/Moulinsart, I guess it depends on which language you read the books in. In my English language edition, the address of both the Hall and adjacent villiage of Marlinspike is designated as somewhere in England. I assume that in the original French, "Moulinsart Chateau" would be in provinicial Belgium (is someone able to confirm this?). Given that, I don't think it poses much of a problem about the English ancestry, seeing as Britain and Belgium have been mostly buddy-buddy throughout history.
labrador road 26
#29 · Posted: 15 Oct 2006 07:56
This and closely related things have been discussed earlier in following threads:
Seven Crystal Balls: Marlinspike's coat of arms

Poor translations in English
Stas Werno
#30 · Posted: 15 Oct 2006 12:50
are they all french?

I would assume most of them were Belgian, Tintin is for sure.

Page  Page 3 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!