Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

How many Tintin books do you have (or have read)?

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

theone
#11 · Posted: 10 Oct 2004 02:34
Hi,

When I was younger I watched the Tintin series and fell in love with it immediately. Up until a while ago I thought the series was all there was, since I couldn't remember it all that well. But then, at a visit to another country, the hosue I stayed at had two Tintin books, "Explorers on the Moon" and "Flight 174"!. Imagine my reaction when I found it.

As soon as I came home I started looking everywhere for the books, started ordering them, buying them from stores, and I wanted to have as much as I could before I started reading. I have about 21 now, even though there are I think 25. I've started reading anyways. Currently I'm on "Destination Moon".
finlay
#12 · Posted: 10 Oct 2004 14:32
I've now read, or just have, every single one.
I have Tintin au pays des Soviets, Tintin au Congo (the only one I haven't got in English, because it doesn't exist...), L'Oreille Cassée, L'Île Noire, and the old version of Tintin et l'Alph-art (I don't have this in English either, though I have the gold-coloured one in English) in French, and Der Schatz Rackhams des Roten in German.
Also, I only have The Black Island and King Ottokar's Sceptre as part of a three-in-one volume.

I once lost my copies of Prisoners of the Sun and The Castafiore Emerald on holiday, probably on a train; I was absolutely distraught, especially as they were both quite old copies. It's really a downgrade when you go from a slightly dog-eared, ten-year old book and a probably older hardback which was once bought from a library for 50p (sometimes they sell their old books) to brand new Mammoth and Egmont shiny paperbacks, and I use that term with the broadest sense, for I don't consider Egmont "paper" to be real paper..... (it's a lot more recently that I replaced them, btw)
Martine
#13 · Posted: 10 Oct 2004 17:29
I just wanted to know the real reasons behind the non-existance of the colour version of 'Tintin in Congo' in English.
At first I thought it was because of the contents, but if that were the case, the Spanish edition would've encontered some trouble in seeing the light as well...(not that it wasn't hard to find in the first place!)

[Post edited by Admin.

Reply from Jockosjungle:
It wasn't politically correct enough for the UK. There is even an apology at the beginning of the book (well not quite an apology but an explanation of the time period) --Rik

Note from Admin: Before posting a question, please always use the search facility to find out if the question has been answered already. Here is the existing thread on Tintin in the Congo (colour).]
rastapopoulos
#14 · Posted: 11 Oct 2004 10:28
I have all the English translated books, including the 3 facsimiles (Soviets, Congo and America), and Alph-Art (1st Edition) and Lake of Sharks. I have a French version of Congo (colour). In English I have Quick and Flupke ‘Double Trouble’ and Two of a Kind’. Also in English I have ‘Popol out West’. In English - Jo Zette and Jocko – ‘Valley of the Cobras’, ‘Mr Pumps Legagy’, ‘Destination New York’ and ‘The Secret Ray’.
As for the reference books I have – ‘Tintin and the World of Herge’, ' Tintin and Herge Reporters’, ‘The complete Tintin companion’, ‘Tintin Pocket Essentials’, ‘The Making of Tintin – Destination Moon & Explorers on the Moon’.
As well as ‘Tintin in the New World’, ‘ Kuifje in Barcelona ( Dutch)’, ‘Tintin, 60 Years of Adventure’. ‘The Tintin Games Book’.
Also various pamphlets including some from the ‘Into Tibet’ Exhibition in 1992, and an interesting pamphlet posing as a Petit Vingteime from the Tintin Shop (1992).
I may have forgotten some, as I am not sitting looking at them at the moment, so from memory this is my collection.
thompson with a p as in psychology
#15 · Posted: 24 Oct 2004 16:07
I have yet to read Soviets, Congo, Alph-Art, The Broken Ear, The Crab with Golden Claws, and only read half of Black Gold and Red Sea Sharks.

There are also one or two,like The Calculus Affair and The Blue Lotus, which I can barely remember.

I have as good as read some of them, because I've read so many reviews and cannot wait to have Soviets, Congo and Alph-Art in my collection!

Of the other ones I'm probably most looking forward to reading The Broken Ear from what I've heard.
rastapopoulos
#16 · Posted: 25 Oct 2004 09:38
Additions i forgot.....'The Blue Lotus' and 'Tintin in the Congo' in Chinese, and 'Tintin at Sea'.
John Sewell
#17 · Posted: 4 Nov 2004 16:18
During my childhood in the 1970s / early 80s, me and my brother had all the then-available paperbacks, including Lake Of Sharks, an English hardback of Golden Fleece (which I got at the school Summer Fair bookstall for ten pence!), plus French hardback copies of Congo, Blue Lotus and the Blue Oranges film book, all picked up on two school trips to Paris. The last addition was the English Blue Lotus when it was published.

My brother's still got all of those books, and my 6 year old nephew's currently getting into them!
I've been getting shiny new hardback replacements for the main colour series over the last couple of years, as I'm unlikely to get 'em back off my bro', and those old paperbacks are looking more than a little scruffy anyway (for example, I once lent King Ottokar's Sceptre to someone in the same class at primary school, and for reasons best known to himself, he drew a moustache and breasts on the cover picture of Tintin!).

Anyhow, at the moment, I've got:

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets
Tintin in America
Cigars of The Pharaoh
The Castafiore Emerald
Flight 714
Tintin and the Picaros
Tintin and Alph-Art (new edition - I've also got Rodier's version, which I translated and printed out myself before the new one came out!)

The original plan was to get two a month, starting at either end with Soviets and Picaros, and then work my way in, meeting somewhere in the middle with Seven Crystal Balls.
What with stuff like the new Alph-Art and the facsimile editions coming out, that's sort of been forgotten.
I got the facsimile of Congo earlier this year, and America only arrived yesterday, courtesy of the Tintin Shop! (they'd run out of stocks of The Secret Ray, ordered at the same time, but they say it'll be sent on as soon as they get some more in.)

So, back on track next month, I should be getting Blue Lotus and Tibet to stick in my bookcase!
rastapopoulos
#18 · Posted: 4 Nov 2004 16:47
I once lent King Ottokar's Sceptre to someone in the same class at primary school, and for reasons best known to himself, he drew a moustache and breasts on the cover picture of Tintin!).

I had friends like yours when I was at school too (Philistines). One friend I lent a book to manage to completely destroy it with a glass of Coke. Moral of the story if your starting or have a collection do not lend them out! And dont let them make you feel like a geek who doesnt lend his books out. Tell them you are a collector and rise above...
Karaboudjan
#19 · Posted: 12 Dec 2004 23:30
All of them, I'm proud to say. I wouldn't count myself a true fan otherwise.
tom
#20 · Posted: 27 Dec 2004 10:48
"Tintin And Alph-Art (new edition - I've also got Rodier's version, which I translated and printed out myself before the new one came out)" (John Sewell)

I myself have the gold covered Tintin and Alph-Art hardback with Hergé's original sketches and intentions in English - is the one you mention different?
I am looking for a completed version in colour in English.

Note from Admin: We do not want to get into trouble with Moulinsart again, so we ask users not to discuss where to find/how to obtain un-official Tintin related works.
We can only confirm that an English, colourised version of Rodier's Alph-Art does indeed exist.

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!