Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin books: Third traditional Chinese edition?

SamCurt
#1 · Posted: 12 Jul 2004 11:11
As I have mentioned in The Cult of Tintin's Yahoo! Group, Commercial Press (Hong Kong) has released its version of traditional Chinese Tintin albums - 3rd licence after Epoch and Taiwan Times - this weekend.

The Hong Kong version uses the French version as its base, unlike the People's Republic of China (PRC) version. In some ways I consider this version better than PRC's.

I might be able to answer all questions related to this version.
rastapopoulos
#2 · Posted: 12 Jul 2004 14:40
I have the The Blue Lotus and Tintin in the Congo in Cantonese. A friend of mine went travelling around China n 2003, and I specifically told him to get me some Chinese Tintin books. I told him to try and get hold of Tintin in [Chinese] Tibet. Unluckily he didn't find a copy, but very luckily brought me back The Blue Lotus and Tintin in the Congo. They are in Cantonese and small (A5).
SamCurt
#3 · Posted: 12 Jul 2004 15:02
There was no "Cantonese" version of Tintin until the past weekend. You may mean the small version of PRC Tintin. As a fact, there're no big Tintins in China IIRC.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#4 · Posted: 12 Jul 2004 15:30
The covers look good. I particularly like the Kih-Oskh emblem and the crab hidden away inside the Chinese ideograms.
rastapopoulos
#5 · Posted: 12 Jul 2004 16:18
Maybe there in Mandarin then (Im at work so cannot get to them), They are definately in some kind of Chinese and they are small (A5).
Richard
UK Correspondent
#6 · Posted: 12 Jul 2004 16:40
Looking on the back covers, I especially like King Ottokar's Sceptre - they've managed to integrate the sceptre itself into the lettering ! Very smart.
marsbar
#7 · Posted: 13 Jul 2004 03:16
rastapopoulos wrote: Maybe there in Mandarin then (Im at work so cannot get to them), They are definately in some kind of Chinese and they are small (A5).

The official mainland Chinese (PRC) edition books printed after 2001, come in A-5 size only. The earlier ones are of the same size as the English edition books.

The PRC and Hong Kong edition books are all in 'Chinese': Mandarin and Cantonese are two of many Chinese dialects, which are spoken, not written languages. Written Chinese, which can be read in any dialect using the local pronunciation, exists in two forms: the traditional characters still used in Hong Kong and Taiwan, and the simplified version used in the PRC and Singapore. The PRC edition Tintin uses simplified characters, and the Hong Kong edition uses traditional characters.
rastapopoulos
#8 · Posted: 13 Jul 2004 09:59
Thanks marsbar,
Sorry for being ignorant. I didnt mean to sound stupid. The editions I have have the usual covers and backs. The Hong Kong editions do look very nicely designed. So I have PRC editions, cool i didnt know. But what does PRC mean? (doh).
pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#9 · Posted: 13 Jul 2004 11:42
People's Republic of China. That is, mainland China rather than Taiwan.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!