Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: His real name, or a nickname?

Page  Page 8 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

tintintoretto
#71 · Posted: 8 Aug 2007 16:24
hi jockosjungle,

actually my name is Tintin. My Dad called me after a cat he found on the same day I was born. I also know that it's a classical Burmese name (for girls) and I think it might be an indonesian name too...I've only met one other person called that but it was a nickname.

btw am not french/belgian in case you're wondering...
Mikael Uhlin
#72 · Posted: 10 Aug 2007 20:37
In the B/W version of Blue Lotus, the tag on Tintin's large luggage trunk says: TT (Tintin), Europe.
True, the TT:s look a bit strange and may in fact be Chinese signs but maybe these are the initials of Mr Tin Tin?

Jyrki21 wrote ages ago about Augustin van Kuifje being Tintin's real name according to "several spin-off comics from Belgium" and I know that it appears at least in the mean parody "Tintin in Paris".
dreamdust
#73 · Posted: 30 Mar 2009 02:42
Hmm...aiming for a more French-orientated name, what about Corentin?

I think he would have had to create a 'byname' (like 'Herge!') to preserve anonymity.
William
#74 · Posted: 12 May 2009 20:17
This to me seems an odd discussion. All that we really can decide is whether we think Tintin is his given name, family name or a nickname, and the last of these seems the most likely. I'm resistant enough to the idea that we could speculate on something for which there are no hints or clues in the stories. To me it seems to be more than just a pet name, it's effectively treated as his legal name, it's what he's referred to in formal settings, such as when he's in police custody or given a position.
Captain Hook
#75 · Posted: 22 Jul 2011 13:02
I found a nother theory more likely:
Tin Tin was named by Hergé as an hommage to an 1897children's book by Benjamin Rabier, titled 'Tintin Lutin' (French).

Hergé was a big fan of Rabier's work; he loved the simplicity and purity of his drawings and this was thought to have a large influence on his own work.
Abhishek Ghosh
#76 · Posted: 26 Jul 2011 04:07
What is the actual meaning of Tintin?

Moderator Note: Hi, Abhishek - please don’t keep starting new threads on topics which have already been discussed, especially when it is a topic that is current: this thread was actually on the main page, so it wasn't hard to find.

You should always do a forum search using the link at the top-right hand corner of the page before starting a new thread.

Moving your messages to the correct thread after you have posted is quite time-consuming; if you keep doing it, we’ll have to consider pre-moderating you.

Many thanks for your cooperation.

The Tintinologist Team
shangas
#77 · Posted: 14 Oct 2011 11:30
I firmly believe that Tintin is his first name and that his last name is never mentioned because it was never necessary.

The issue of "Mr. Tintin" doesn't signify anything.

Just because it IS "Mr. Tintin" doesn't mean that 'Tintin' is his last name. Traditionally, titles went "Master", then "Mister".

I'll give you an example.

Two brothers. James and Simon Baker. As children they would've been called Master James and Master Simon.

As they grew up, they'd both be called Mr. Baker.

If they were being talked about by a mutual friend, then to differentiate between the two, the friend might well use the form of address of "Mr. James..." to distinguish him from his brother.

So yes. I think Tintin was his first name. Might it have been a nickname? Possible, but somehow I doubt it.
mct16
#78 · Posted: 14 Oct 2011 12:36
I've just been watching "The Legend of Fong Sai-Yuk" starring Jet Li. It is set in China and the hero's girlfriend is called "Ting Ting".

Well, there you have it: he's of Chinese descent.
mct16
#79 · Posted: 6 Nov 2011 12:48
mct16:
Well, there you have it: he's of Chinese descent.

If you want further proof, it seems that Ting Ting is the nickname of Tinglan Hong, mother of Hugh Grant's baby.

So, in other words, Tintin's name is of Chinese origin, and he's also androgynous. Might explain why he prefers male company. Er... maybe I'd better shut up.
Harry Hayfield
#80 · Posted: 6 Nov 2011 16:55
Personal Opinion: It's a pen name (just as Nellie Bly was the pen name of Elizabeth Jane Cochran and Hugh Kalyptus which was the pen name of Spencer John Skipper)

Page  Page 8 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!