Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? /

Thomson and Thompson: gay couple?

Page  Page 7 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

gorfdota
#61 · Posted: 5 Nov 2013 14:45
I think Jock 123 is right. The joke is whether the Thom(p)sons have a sexuality at all. First and foremost they are their job, while being staid and respectable. They get into all sorts of ridiculous situations because they try to do what they consider to be their job, while attempting to preserve their respectability. So, if need be, they would have even gone over to overt homosexuality if that would have furthered the solution of any of their cases.

Isn't it strange that Herge, while being rather on the conservative side, reserved the full strength of his ridicule for that bastion of order, the police?
mct16
#62 · Posted: 5 Nov 2013 16:13 · Edited by: mct16
gorfdota:
Isn't it strange that Herge, while being rather on the conservative side, reserved the full strength of his ridicule for that bastion of order, the police?

That was not unusual, especially at the time they first appeared in the 1930s. Hollywood film series which relied a lot on humour had bungling police detectives who paled compared to the gifted amateur. These included "Sherlock Holmes" with Basil Rathbone, "The Falcon" with Tom Conway or "The Thin Man" with William Powell.

What is surprising is that French comic book censors took a very hard view of comics which ridiculed the police and would even use those grounds to block some Belgian comics from being sold in France, especially in the post-war years. Maurice Tillieux's "Gil Jourdan" is one such example: in the early adventures Inspector Crouton was an accident-prone officer, very much in the Thompson mould, but became a lot more reliable in later stories.

I suppose that Tintin's established popularity meant that Herge could get away with it.
Gayboy
#63 · Posted: 19 Nov 2013 04:13
Ok I knew someone would throw this subject up eventually, but I'm just going to say that for argument, decency, censorship, and reputation, Herge made all characters "Asexual". No one is offended one way or the other. Of course we can all speculate :)

(Just Opinion)
I think both Detectives are definitely gay, but this is just how I see them. Two men who dress like each other, live with each other, and to me have mannerisms in the story that even for those times--but of course gay people existed then too. A couple of closet cases keeping their life private while over-focusing on their job.

So let me say again, this is just how I see them.
Thanks!

Page  Page 7 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

|

» Login  » Password  Forgot your password?
Please log in to to post. No account? Sign up for one!

Online now: 2 guests and 0 members
Members online:

Most users ever online was 351 on 13 Oct 2014 21:14: 351 guests and 0 members

Load time: 0.776