Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Numa Sadoul: Is "Entretiens avec Hergé" available in English?

Tintinrulz
#1 · Posted: 12 Oct 2008 05:50
Is Numa Sadoul's book, Entretiens avec Hergé, ever going to be released in English,does anyone know?
I've heard this is an invaluable read for the Tintin/ Hergé fan but I don't read French.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 26 Feb 2015 10:40
Tintinrulz:
Is Numa Sadoul's book, Entretiens avec Hergé, ever going to be released in English

If it is any help, I recently found that a selection of excerpts were translated to English for a feature in The Comics Journal in February 2003, issue Nº250. They were published with a profile of Hergé, by the late Kim Thompson.

The article runs from page 176 to page 205, with the Sadoul interview begining on page 180.
If you are a subscriber to the Journal, you should be able to read the content in the magazine's on-line archive. If not a subscriber you will at least be able to see the cover and contents list on that link.

I'm not a subscriber myself, but I found a copy in a second-hand shop, so you may be be able to do the same. It's well worth it: in addition to the text, both parts of the feature are lavishly illustrated, and while there were many "old friends" in the images published, there were still one or two with which I was not familiar.

Update: Having contacted Numa Sadoul about this, there is good news and bad news... He confirmed that the complete book was translated for the selections to be made for the Comics Journal. However, although it seems that there were plans to publish it in its entirety, these fell through (for reasons which he did not specify), and now with the recent passing of Kim Thompson, that avenue would appear to be closed.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!