Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintinland: The imaginary theme-park

Page  Page 7 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

yamilah
#61 · Posted: 4 Apr 2005 12:34
Sorry jock123, you're right!
I should have written: Canadian whisky tags bear no "e", as far as I can remember...
jock123
#62 · Posted: 4 Apr 2005 13:23
If it doesn’t have the “e”, and it doesn’t come from Scotland, then it is breaching international trade laws, as it is one of those protected products like “champagne”, which has to come from a specific region of the world.

I have myself seen alleged “whisky” which isn’t Scottish - but that still means it’s “whiskey” - the incorrect label does’t change that fact.

Accept no substitutes!!
snafu
#63 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 16:58
I don't know if it is a good idea to have whiskey in the park, both in a practical sense and in a spirit-of-Tintin sense.

In a practical sense, if you think that Haddock did enough damage during some of his drunken fits, imagine if a few troublemakers started getting drunk. That could hurt the image of the park.

In the spirit-of-Tintin sense, alcohol automatically excludes too many people. Children at age 7 still cannot drink (although with enforceability issues...eh-heh). Hindus and Muslims, among others, can't drink for religious reasons. As previously mentioned in the thread, the Tintinland should be something for everybody.

This is more harmful than a Cuttsburger (as previously mentioned in the thread), which could come in both a meat form and in a vegetarian form. (Actually, would Cutts be a major character, the stuff about everyone calling Marlinspike instead of Cutts was largely confined to "The Calculus Affair").

Personal opinion: Loch Lomond should be included in Tintinland because it is central to Captain Haddock, but it shouldn't be available for consumption.
jock123
#64 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 17:26
snafu
imagine if a few troublemakers started getting drunk

Our bar-staff would be careful not to serve those who were drinking too much…

snafu
Hindus and Muslims, among others, can't drink for religious reasons.

Yes, and Jews can’t eat pork, but ham and cheese make up the bulk of the meals at EuroDisney; to be truly all-inclusive would be to accept that there are many paths…
mkpdluv
#65 · Posted: 24 Aug 2005 19:49
I just fell out of my chair - either I was laughing too hard or drunk on all the talk of Loch Lomond...

Either way, I LOVE this idea!!! How about adding a zoo filled with all the creatures Tintin encounters in his travels?
jock123
#66 · Posted: 27 Aug 2005 00:27
mkpdluv
How about adding a zoo filled with all the creatures Tintin encounters in his travels?

The management regrets that due to the ethical dilemma of keeping animals in captivity, we are unable to bring you a comprehensive collection of Tintin related animals; we also had a problem in that our rhinos kept exploding…

There are a number of tableaux featuring animatronic creatures, such as our realistic yeti, and the “talking” elephants - perhaps these will serve?
KurviTasch
#67 · Posted: 7 Sep 2005 18:46
I've seen the building of the "Secret of the Unicorn" ride at Walibi in my copy of "The Making of Tintin," and it does look kind of lame. I've ridden the original "Pirates of the Carribean" ride many times, one of the greatest amusement park attractions ever, and which the ride at Walibi was allegedly inspired by. It doesn't look like there's any serious competition from the Walibi ride. "Amateur! You're not in my class," as Rastapopoulos said. I also imagine that the ride wouldn't be any fun at all if you weren't familiar with Tintin already.

As for the whole whisky thing...

All whisky from Scotland is whisky, without an "E." All whisky from Canada and Japan is "whisky" as well. Whiskey from Ireland as well as the United States is "whiskey," with a few exceptions such as George Dickel's Tennessee Whisky and Maker's Mark Bourbon Whisky. Archie likes scotch above all, so he calls it "whisky." A whisky bar in an amusement park would be fun, but you might not want to ride any roller coasters after having too much. EPCOT center in Disney World features beer and wine bars in its international exhibits, and these are a lot of fun, except for the Moroccan beer, which is worse than French beer. Disney's California Adventure even has its own winery, which isn't bad. Busch gardens and Sea World, which are owned by the company which makes the abominable Budweiser, used to give out free Budweiser in the parks, kind of like Duff Gardens. This all goes to show that you can have bars in a family amusement park.

As for the whole Kosher thing, every Disney park has at least one restaurant where you can get a Kosher or Halal or Vegan meal, so everyone can eat. Nobody will feel left out at our Tintinland.
snafu
#68 · Posted: 7 Sep 2005 19:55
As for the whole Kosher thing, every Disney park has at least one restaurant where you can get a Kosher or Halal or Vegan meal, so everyone can eat. Nobody will feel left out at our Tintinland.~KurviTasch

Indeed, someone earlier in the thread proposed falafel from Khemed! Not to mention that Tintin is sometimes seen eating dates while in the Middle East. At the same time, food from the countries Tintin visited (like Morocco and India) can be a big draw for all!

I'm still not comfortable about the idea of serving dogs in sauce like how they did in King Ottokar's Sceptre.

Maybe there could be lots of food concessions!

BTW: does anybody have ideas about shows related to hypnotism (think Flight 714)?
KurviTasch
#69 · Posted: 7 Sep 2005 20:02
I'm still not comfortable about the idea of serving dogs in sauce like how they did in King Ottokar's Sceptre.

Well, what other dish comes from Syldavia?

We need a place that serves Arumbaya Otnosh. What's in otnosh anyway?

The hypnotist can perform a show where a random audience member thinks he is cheatink.
snafu
#70 · Posted: 8 Sep 2005 05:56
Regarding that Syldavian dish: how about vegetarian dog-meat or something disguised as dog?

Would otnosh be made of red pimentos? There was something similar in the Picaros' that those guys tried to give to Snowy, who rejected it not for the strange chemicals but for the spicy taste. Not to mention that scene where Tintin and Calculus burn as a result of eating the intensely hot dish...

Page  Page 7 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!