Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: Kuifje Kwestion - why is Tintin not "Tintin" in Dutch?

Pelaphus
#1 · Posted: 7 Oct 2004 16:59
Does anybody know why/ how Tintin - a name which is neither Dickensian nor linguistic in the manner of Calculus or Haddock - became Kuifje in Dutch?

Most of the other universal variants (Tim, Tin Tin, Tim tin, etc.) make an odd sort of sense, but I find Kuifje bewildering.

Cute, but bewildering.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 7 Oct 2004 18:07
I think the name has to do with his gravity-defying hairdo - his quiff - but why Kuifje was chosen in favour of Tintin, I've no idea.
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 7 Oct 2004 22:07
It has to do with his quiff, indeed. Kuifje means "small quiff".
I think Dutch was the first translation. After Kuifje, they probably found it better to keep his original name for other translations.
Mikael Uhlin
#4 · Posted: 5 Jan 2005 15:44
Another exception is Germany, where Tintin is known as "Tim" (and Milou is "Struppi").
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#5 · Posted: 5 Jan 2005 17:05
According to volume 5 of Hergé: Chronologie d'une Œuvre, p.48, the name "Kuifje" was originally considered unsuitable because, despite it portraying the idea of a quiff, it had "more directly sexual connotations, particularly feminine, and not in keeping with a young readership".

I shall bear this in mind so as to avoid an embarrassing faux pas in Holland!

Ed
jock123
#6 · Posted: 6 Jan 2005 20:17
I'd never heard that fact, Ed - I've got a Dutch friend who has never mentioned it to me: I must take it up with her!
I wonder if it is more of a Flemish thing than pure Dutch?
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#7 · Posted: 6 Jan 2005 22:32
Quite possibly jock123 - or it could have only been a dubious term in the 1940s, in the way quite innocent words today would have been much more suggestive then (and vice versa).

Ed
Sonya vS
#8 · Posted: 21 Apr 2006 01:12
"Tintin" is a decidedly French-sounding diminutive for Valentin. In view of the language tensions often felt between Dutch- and French-speaking Belgians, it was understandable that the Flemish readers wouldn't want their hero to a have a too French-sounding name. The Dutch "Kuifje" was also kept in Afrikaans (Kuifie), where by the way Cpt Haddock has a fun name that rhymes: Kaptein Sardyn ("Captain Sardine").
bluetick
#9 · Posted: 23 Jun 2015 02:04
Why is Snowy called Bobbie in dutch? Dat is die werklike geheim!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!