Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: In what kind of music might he be interested?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

giodenka9812
#1 · Posted: 23 Nov 2011 11:41
I'm new here, and am curious about what kind of music Tintin would listen to?
I'd like to think that perhaps he listens to Oasis and that kind of thing.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 23 Nov 2011 12:22
Knowing Tintin's character and the period in which he lived, I imagine Tintin enjoyed classical music and perhaps even some jazz.
I don't think he thought much of opera, he probably attended more out of politeness than anything else.
That said, Hergé liked some alternative music for his time and age.
Reports indicated that Pink Floyd was his favourite, or one of his favourite, bands.
mct16
#3 · Posted: 23 Nov 2011 17:03
There's the scene where in "Picaros" he puts on a record but this is mainly to drown out the conversation as he point out the bugs in the room. I don't have the book with me, but I think it is Castafiore's signature song and he describes it as his favourite.
Tintinrulz:
I don't think he thought much of opera, he probably attended more out of politeness than anything else.

I recall reading that Jacobs, himself a singer, did take Herge to the opera once, but the latter was not very impressed.
I've always felt the same about Castafiore myself. She is sometimes portrayed as so ridiculous: getting Haddock's name wrong all the time, inviting herself to his home for such as long time, bossing him around and being portrayed as silly and daft.
On the other hand, she is quite impressive in her handling of Sponsz in "Calculus Affair" and her defiance of the prosecutor in "Picaros".
Jelsemium
#4 · Posted: 15 Dec 2011 04:50
I'd think that Tintin would go for jazz. (Did you know that the saxaphone was invented by a Belgian named Sax?)
Tintin seemed to like the Gypsy music in The Castafiore Emerald, so perhaps he likes guitar music. (I believe that guitarist Django Reinhardt was Belgian, too.)
I agree that The Calculus Affair was Castafiore's finest hour. I also love the way she disrupted that Kangroo court.
Ginger_Tuft
#5 · Posted: 15 Dec 2011 08:04
Well in Emerald Signora gives him a record of the Faust song, so maybe he digs opera.
Maybe he'd dig Coldplay: their songs just sound so Tintin to me.
rodney
#6 · Posted: 16 Dec 2011 00:50
I personally like these new and interesting threads: it's good to think outside the box and bring up discussions not talked about before!

In my opinion I'm sure Tintin is old fashioned with his music, he obviously loved the Waltz when he feels like celebrating, à la Red Rackham's Treasure!
tintinsgf
#7 · Posted: 16 Dec 2011 07:59
rodney:
he obviously loved the Waltz when he feels like celebrating, à la Red Rackham's Treasure!

Hmmm, if it is so, then him enjoying opera isn't such a strange thing, and this is even pretty reasonable, if you assume Tintin enjoys the Faust recording from Castafiore, of course...

Speaking about 'present-day' Tintin, I think I can imagine that Jamie Cullum is included in his playlist! :D
Balthazar
#8 · Posted: 16 Dec 2011 09:53
mct16:
There's the scene where in "Picaros" he puts on a record but this is mainly to drown out the conversation as he point out the bugs in the room. I don't have the book with me, but I think it is Catafiore's signature song and he describes it as his favourite.

I think it's pretty clear from this example that he's only saying it's his favourite record to fool Sponsz and his agents so that they aren't suspicious that he's simply using the record to mask their converstaion from the room's electronic bug. (Not that Sponsz is actually fooled, of course.) Captain Haddock thinks he's gone mad till he realises why Tintin has put the record on, which suggests he knows Tintin dislikes that kind of opera singing as much as he does.

Ginger_Tuft:
Well in emerald,Signora gives him a record of the Faust song, so maybe he digs opera.

tintinsgf:
... if you assume Tintin enjoys the Faust recording from Castafiore, of course...

I think Tintin's apparent gratitude for the gift is just an example of him being polite! We can see from the car scene from King Ottokar's Sceptre and the music hall scene from The Seven Crystal Balls how he really feels about her singing that aria, and maybe opera generally.
CK95
#9 · Posted: 19 Dec 2011 09:16
Surely the Ting Tings...
jock123
#10 · Posted: 19 Dec 2011 10:21
CK95:
Surely the Ting Tings...

LOL! We have a winner...! ;-) Welcome to the forums, CK95!

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

This topic is closed.