Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: In what kind of music might he be interested?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Azvee
#21 · Posted: 11 Jan 2012 02:04
I guess for old music, I could definitely see Tintin getting into jazz and Sinatra as well.

Not sure why, but I also think he'd like some classical pieces too.

I'm not so sure about the modern stuff, most of it's so shallow and skin-deep that I think it would turn him off.

I see him liking some more minimalist stuff like the Civil Wars or Elenowen. Not terribly mainstream stuff, but their songs are a bit more interesting, and I can see that appealing to Tintin.
Becky
#22 · Posted: 11 Jan 2012 10:53
Jazz came to mind straight away.
cakes200
#23 · Posted: 17 May 2013 02:01
It seems that a lot of people imagine Tintin listening to jazz or a bit of classical. I would totally agree with that (given the time Tintin was written.)
Harrock n roll:
Tintin is an international traveller so wouldn't his taste in music somehow reflect this?... He went to South America a few times so maybe he likes a bit of Latin too.

I also imagine that he would enjoy "world music" and for some reason Bossa Nova especially. :-p I just think Brazilian jazz and Tintin match so well somehow (even though bossa nova originated around the 1950s.)
Blistring_Barnacles
#24 · Posted: 20 Jun 2013 20:19
In the English version of Blue Lotus, there's a panel where Tintin sings a line from "Happy Days are Here Again" (while he's pretending to be crazy). I don't know if it was just popular at the time or if one of the translators liked it, but I think at least at the time of Blue Lotus, Tintin would like upbeat swing music. (I personally like swing because it's really cheerful.) It's a good pick-me-up, plus it's what was available in the early Tintin books. (Here's a link to the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvk_uLnv4uo)
mct16
#25 · Posted: 20 Jun 2013 23:25
In the original French, he is just singing "Olé, Olé..." as if he were a Spanish dancer
Blistring_Barnacles
#26 · Posted: 22 Jun 2013 02:04
Haha, that actually matches his posture better!
Sart
#27 · Posted: 3 Jul 2013 09:34
Two posts edited by Moderator and combined

The Braveheart (Tintin) would have liked epic scores I guess.
Hammock (the Captain) might like Two Steps from Hell or The Best Pessimist...

I don't know, just guessing!

Update: Sorry maybe I couldn't be clear enough. I meant Tintin could like Hammock (which is a band!), Two Steps from Hell or The Best Pessimist. I was not talking of the Captain. Thanks :)

Moderator Note: Apologies for the confusion, but your initial post was very hard to follow - it was like Captain Haddock explaining his arrival at the end of Land of Black Gold: very simple, yet complicated!
You started by quoting someone else's post about guitar jazz and Django Reinhardt, which made it seem like you wanted to talk about them, but then didn't actually make reference to either in your comment; as a result, that quotation was removed.

You then talked about Braveheart and "epic scores", which at first made it seem that you were talking about James Horner's music for the film of the same name; however the punctuation was confusing, so it was hard to interpret, and a term like "epic score" suggests some huge orchestral piece like John Wiliams's music for Star Wars, when, from looking, the people you mention don't seem to go in for that kind of thing - and that was before you pointed out Hammock are a band...!

It then seemed that you might be calling Tintin Braveheart, which suggested that the "Hammock" might be a reference to Castafiore calling the Captain "Hammock", not knowing that there is a group of that name.

It's best in cases like this to remember that very few people will have heard of the groups/ bands/ duos you mention - well maybe young folks will, but creaking old fogeys like us mods may not have!

Anyway, the real purpose of a thread like this isn't just to briefly name-check some of your favourites - if you are going to mention someone/ something, you want to explain why you think it is appropriate to the character.

If people don't give reasons, the thread just turns into a list, which isn't productive, or really about Tintin and Hergé...

So why do you think Tintin would enjoy Hammock, etc.? You might also get other people to try out some new music if you do!
The Happy Tintinologist Team
Sart
#28 · Posted: 5 Jul 2013 07:02
Sart
Sorry may be I couldn't be clear enough. I meant Tintin could like Hammock (is a band!), Two Steps from Hell or The Best Pessimist. I was not talking of the Captain. Thanks :)
Sart
#29 · Posted: 7 Jul 2013 22:48
Ya, I guess I was not clear enough. Well, Tintinologists can try to listen to the recommended music.
I have always felt, Tintin the person is so different from other comic book heroes.
In most other heroes we see a lot of "finding out of oneself", tensions of romantic love or self/family interest vs the greater good, etc.
Tintin is almost, if not fully, oblivious of self interest. He throws himself into dangerous situations, as if it is the most natural thing to do.
There is no ethical conundrum in Tintin's mind. Even though he is always alert and concerned about the affairs of the world, he himself appears to me very unworldly. He is unworldly in the sense he has nothing to gain for himself from the world. Perhaps his understanding of love, happiness or suffering would be different. So Tintin's choice of music might reflect this amazing and enigmatic aspect of his character.

I like to think, that Tintin would appreciate music of different genres, of different cultures, but the ones which will be closest to his heart will be music which are deep and which to others, would sound enigmatic and unworldly. This appears so, because Tintin is so different from the rest of us or even fellow comic heroes . He doesn't have a girl friend, any contact with family (not even in memory), no "ultimate aim" even, he only has friends. It seems he works just because he believes good will come out of those works/adventures. Quite a personality!

Interestingly someone mentioned gypsy music from The Castafiore Emerald in this context. [I tried to quote that person but I don't know perhaps due to my lack of internet forum skills I could only manage confusion!] There Tintin goes for a stroll at night and amidst otherwise complete silence hears gypsies singing "haunting music". Tintin pauses for a while to listen to them. Tintin & Snowy return quietly from the spot with Tintin kind of absorbed in silence.

The kind of music I am referring to is also somewhat unworldly, touching yet they also have a dimension of vastness in them. Best enjoyed during night in a quiet setting. Might appeal to Tintin, I think. At any rate I can guarantee Tintin would prefer them over the Milanese Nightingale's music!
gorfdota
#30 · Posted: 4 Nov 2013 11:45
Maybe Tintin is just not interested in music? Although a young man of many accomplishments music just does not seem to be his forte. Nor does he seem to be very keen on any of the arts. He has a good overall knowledge of course, but it doesn't seem he goes further than that

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

This topic is closed.