Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

What makes Tintin unique and compelling?

GBaxter
#1 · Posted: 31 Dec 2011 04:59
What makes and/or has made, Tintin so unique and compelling to you as a character and comic series?

If this has been discussed here before, please give any thread links and/or any quotes you have on file, on the topic.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 31 Dec 2011 18:14
GBaxter:
What makes and/or has made, Tintin so unique and compelling to you

These sorts of enquiries usually work better if you yourself kick things off and make a contribution.
If you say what makes Tintin special for you first, people can respond to that; it makes it a conversation. :-)

As it stands it’s a bit like you have set an essay topic or home-work (especially when you include the request for references).

So, what makes Tintin unique and compelling to you, GBaxter?
ral365
#3 · Posted: 31 Dec 2011 20:04
I feel like Tintin is more famous for being an icon than an actual character. The more I look at the comics and TV show, I see more and more of a bland personality. He's so focused on the adventures that I fail to see much of a sympathetic side to him, little emotion, except for the occasion with events like Chang (which is what I think makes Tintin in Tibet so memorable). At least Indiana Jones had quirks (why did it have to be snakes? XP )

The new movie gave him somewhat more of a well-rounded personality, reminding from something of Harry Potter's character to a certain extent. I love it when he lost his temper when Haddock set the boat on fire. XP
Jelsemium
#4 · Posted: 2 Jan 2012 21:06
I think one of the main things that I like about Tintin is that he doesn't have a deep, dark, angst producing background. He's just a nice kid with a thirst for adventure.

I like the books because Tintin is the sort of person I like to hang around with. He's fun-loving, good-natured, helpful and adventurous. He doesn't lose his temper easily, although he does lose it a few times, as mentioned in the "Does Tintin Curse?" thread.
Cutts_The_Butcher
#5 · Posted: 3 Jan 2012 13:02
For me it's so much just Tintin as a character that is so compelling as it is his universe. There is always so much to see in a Tintin panel, and I think that depth to the Tintin universe is the most compelling and unique aspect of the stories.
adventuretimewtintinandsnowy
#6 · Posted: 4 Jan 2012 05:27
ral365
Well yes, Tintin is pretty characterless most of the time, showing no emotion or flaws. It's just so we can connect with him, and fill in all the empty spaces with who we want Tintin to be.

I agree, the movie really added something to him. He had some ups and downs. :)
Magpie
#7 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 21:05
I think it's because you can so easily relate to Tintin, since he does have kind of a bland personality. It's easy to place yourself in his shoes, as if you're having the adventure.I suppose he sort of has to live all his adventures for me, since I'll never be able to truly have them myself.
ejnare
#8 · Posted: 12 Sep 2013 10:06
As a life-long Tintin fan I have often asked myself why I feel so strongly connected to these books. There are definitely lots of good comic books out there, but I do feel that Tintin contains a special magic that makes them rise way above others. I just find it difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is.

That's why I thought it would be interesting to hear what other Tintin fans think about this matter.

One thing that - in my humble opinion - makes Tintin different is that it feels like a very personal work. Even though Hergé had several assistants, I still feel the author is always present. Underneath the exciting and often funny plot lines, you can clearly sense Hergé's ups and downs and frustrations in life which gives the stories an edge and a sarcasm that not many comic books have.

Well that's my input. I guess there must be others in this forum who have had other interesting suggestions on what is the secret ingredient in Tintin.

This is a highly subjective matter, so don't be afraid to give highly subjective answers.

Moderator Note: Hi, ejnare! Nice post - we've already got a similar thread to which your message has been moved, so you can see the thoughts of some other members!

The Happy Tintinologist Team
ejnare
#9 · Posted: 13 Sep 2013 09:07
It is regularly considered (as both adventuretimewtintinandsnowy and Magpie - and quite a few writers on the subject - mention) that one of the secrets behind the success of Tintin is that his lack of personality lets the reader identify with him.

But is that really the case? Personally I have never felt that explanation was fully satisfactory.

Obviously Tintin doesn't really have any dark sides to his personality which makes him a bit 2-dimensional. but he is both brave, just, loyal, persistent and a good friend. Who could honestly claim that those personality traits are easy to identify with?

I think he definitely has a personality and he is more like a role model you can aspire to be.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!