Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin books: the most peculiar line?

rodney
#1 · Posted: 13 Jan 2012 02:18
I'm a fan of the comic The Phantom and in one of the stories, in a trivia section, a Phantom historian comments that one of the Phantom lines being:

'Hey, was that a Stuka?'

Is quite possibly the most peculiar line uttered in all the stories.

A Stuka, by the way, was a 2 man German warplane which featured predominantly in WWII. It was quite accurate and durable but lacked key manoeuvrability which made it vulnerable to the enemy.

Lee Falk, the creator of The Phantom, wrote the particular tale during the war years which clarifies why the line was used.

I'm intrigued to ask what you think is the strangest/unusual/weird line a character has said in the English language edition of The Adventures of Tintin?

It has to be an English line, not a swear word or in a foreign language please! It could be an old fashioned saying, a tune, or simply a line which seems out of place in the context of the adventure or indeed the character themselves...

Straight off, many lines from Land of the Soviets would qualify due to the 1930's creation so perhaps we should leave this adventure off topic?

I will contribute my own views in time, just working with no access to the albums presently!

Rod

(PS - Shouldn't I actually be working at my job instead of Tintinologist??)

--
Admin note: It's 13:53 here in eastern Australia; hehe, Rod, aren't we officially still on lunch break now? ;-)
calculite
#2 · Posted: 13 Jan 2012 03:26
From Tintin and the Picaros Tintin tells Snowy: "Now sleep off the booze, you old dipso" or something like that. It was pretty funny when I first read it, and it's unusual for Tintin to call Snowy a dipso.
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 13 Jan 2012 03:28
There are plenty across the series. One that instantly comes to mind is the line in The Secret of the Unicorn, frame 12, page 23. Captain Haddock relays Sir Francis Haddock's exploits to Tintin: "Yes, he puts down the bottle... and seizes a cutlass. Then, looking towards the fo'c'sle where the drunken roistering still goes on..."

What the heck is a "fo'c'sle"? I never understood that part as a child and I'm none the wiser as an adult. Thanks!
Jelsemium
#4 · Posted: 13 Jan 2012 03:52
Fo'c'sle, more formally, "forecastle" is either the part of the upper deck between the foremast and the bow or the structure at the front of the ship where the crew is quartered.
glendale
#5 · Posted: 13 Jan 2012 04:11
Here goes.Ahoi....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forecastle
All one needs to know about it.
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 13 Jan 2012 04:40
Cheers, Jelsemium! Thanks also Glendale for linking a source. :)
TomE
#7 · Posted: 26 Mar 2014 22:24
Tintin - and even Snowy - seem to pick up an awful lot of American slang when he is in that country. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but it doesn't really seem to suit them.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!