Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Do you like Captain Haddock?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Furienna
#11 · Posted: 23 Mar 2012 10:15
tintinsgf:
Well, in general. Aside from his alcoholism, I just don't favor Haddock's personality in general. Might seems weird, but I just like other character more than him.

No, it's okay that you like other characters more. But he sure is one of my favorites. He might not be as perfect as Tintin, but he's also so much funnier. As for the Thom(p)sons, they might be funny some times, but most of the time, they don't add much to the stories. I have to agree with you about professor Calculus though. But then, I have a thing for scientists.

tintinsgf:
Oh well, I think it's also due to his age. Functional alcoholic, eh? Well, I'll definitely admit that... :D

But even though Captain Haddock is at least twice as old as Tintin, I don't think drinking and smoking like he does can have been good for his health. But yes, there sure are functional alcoholics. My siblings had a friend, when they were kids, and his father was one of those.
mct16
#12 · Posted: 23 Mar 2012 12:45
Haddock's alcoholism does cause him to become more than stupid: like in "Crab" when he burns the boat, tries to fly the plane or rushes at the Arab ambushers while they're shooting at him; or in "Explorers" when he tries to spacewalk back to Markinspike.

Do you think he's make a good subject for a series of ads against alcoholism, like being in a drink-driving accident or diagnosed with bad liver or something? They could use the animated Haddock from the movie and it might have an effect.
Furienna
#13 · Posted: 23 Mar 2012 14:16
But after "Crab", he only has one such incident, and that's in "Explorers". I understand what you mean though. I do think Captain Haddock could work as a good case against drinking.
tintinsgf
#14 · Posted: 23 Mar 2012 15:30
Furienna:
But even though Captain Haddock is at least twice as old as Tintin, I don't think drinking and smoking like he does can have been good for his health.

I got that, hence I wrote "also" :). Not that his age become an influence, his alcoholism too is also an influence to his current physical condition (well, if it's okay to say current... ;D )

I thought there are more case on Haddock's foolishness after drinking. I just don't remember what are all of them. But there are definitely many cases of ridiculousness that involves whisky... :)
JEEP
#15 · Posted: 25 Mar 2012 19:16
Indeed - he reminds me a lot of my father-in-law :D

On a more serious note; why shouldn't one like Haddock? He is a loyal and true friend, always good for a laugh and he is an enjoyer of the finer things in life.
GSC
#16 · Posted: 7 Apr 2012 19:49
Captain Haddock isn't my most favourite character, but I still like him. Hes pretty funny at times, which one of the reasons that I like him.
TomE
#17 · Posted: 26 Mar 2014 05:10
Captain Archibald Haddock is one of the funniest, most human and most likeable characters in all of literature! Being his friend would certainly have its trying moments, but being an observer is always a delight.

When he starts yelling, I always imagine him sounding like Basil Fawlty for some reason...

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!