Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: How to get people Interested in the books?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Blistring_Barnacles
#1 · Posted: 19 Mar 2012 23:36
My friend thinks Tintin is boring - I am kind of irritated with her, because she hasn't actually read the books.

I'm thinking I might make her read one and see what she thinks then. Do you guys ever have this problem?
Star Child
#2 · Posted: 21 Mar 2012 07:26
Yes! Except with EVERONE I KNOW! The only person I know who likes Tintin too is a friend of mine. We're both in a music band and I only found out last Sunday she was also a Tintin fan.
Blistring_Barnacles
#3 · Posted: 22 Mar 2012 00:25
I know maybe 4 other fans my age and 1 or 2 adults in person (I'm in high school). Everyone else has never heard of it. *Sigh* Today I gave her Volume 2 (it's the only one I'm willing to lend out because I have two copies of it). Can't wait to see what she thinks! :D
skater95
#4 · Posted: 23 Mar 2012 01:29
In my French class we had to do an oral presentation on one of the French Tintin albums.
I live in the States, so most people hadn't known Tintin previously and I was very disappointed to see their reactions - they seemed to think that they were simply mindless children's books.
My album was L'affaire Tournesol (Calculus Affair), so I made it a point to talk about the Cold War themes of the book and the political satire but nobody seemed to get it. :(

Someone even said they didn't think they were funny - I really had to disagree, sometimes I crack myself up laughing at certain parts!
I managed to convert a few people though by lending them some English albums :)
I love my country and all, but we are sorely lacking in the Tintin department, I'm afraid!
Blistring_Barnacles
#5 · Posted: 1 May 2012 23:19
Yes! I finally found someone my own age who loves Tintin! She said she's been reading it since she was a kid and Rascar Capac gives her nightmares. (She noticed my computer desktop, a frame from Blue Lotus, and commented on it.) I am very, very happy. :D
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 2 May 2012 00:54
I'm well beyond highschool now, but I remember being in Year 10 and getting teased often for reading Tintin albums. Comics were generally seen as something for kids, even the more complex ones. My good friend told me that in English they were talking about good books to read and that the teacher mentioned Tintin and Asterix as quality literature when it came to comics. The teacher assumed people knew who they were and that at least some of them had read the comics. Apparently my name was brought up when Tintin entered the classroom conversation.

Now I'm a primary school teacher. As a class we read through The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure over 4 or so weeks. I encouraged my students to take turns to read different characters and the sound effects, bits of narration etc. It was great fun and a fantastic learning experience. I talked a bit about Herge's life and the historical context of the books. We discussed the books as an quality example of literature and looked at the basics of Narrative (eg. Characters, Setting, Plot, Point of View, Style and Tone). Now some of my students are really interested in reading more of Tintin - some of them are girls. I find that very encouraging. Most of them had never even heard of Tintin, although some had seen the movie and really enjoyed it. We must pass on the Tintinology torch!
Furienna
#7 · Posted: 1 Aug 2012 21:46
I guess "Tintin" is more popular here in Sweden than in the US, even though even most people here think of it as "just for children". My mother and my brother are Tintin fans though, and once when I brought "Tintin in Soviet" to school (junior college), a guy borrowed it from me.
Lune
#8 · Posted: 2 Aug 2012 18:58
She can´t make that affirmation if she didn't read any book. If she had read them, well it would be just her opinion.
ireallylovetintin
#9 · Posted: 19 Aug 2012 01:20
Well my parents think Tintin is weird. Everyone else does too, but I read it anyway on my kindle. It's kind of annoying though, because I don't have the courage to tell anyone that I am obsessed with the Tintin books. My parents haven't even given Tintin a chance and they've already got it pegged as "weird".
ilovetintin
#10 · Posted: 28 Aug 2012 04:12
Most people I know don't like Tintin that much, it's just a childhood thing.

I'm a big Tintin nerd, I grew up reading the books and watching the animated series, and Tintin is my childhood hero.

My boyfriend, doesn't really want to read the books or anything, but he's not really giving it a chance.

Any suggestions? I don't want to bore him with it or force him to. I just want him to read the books I love so much.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!