Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

The Decor at Marlinspike

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

rodney
#11 · Posted: 24 Nov 2012 12:23
Harrock n roll:
esteemed artist, yes, famous work, most definitely no.

Fair call..... that is a good argument :)

Harrock n roll:
what Picasso? What Miro?

I will be honest here and state that these pictures are only quoted from Tintin: The Complete Companion. I'm only going from Mr Farr's book in this instance, so, in another question, was he correct?

With apologies to going off topic, I do think Hergé had a huge appreciation for the arts moving towards the end of his adventures. I'm sure that there was many nods to this, and of course the final story confirmed this to some extent…
On a similar topic to this thread, I always found the TV in Picaros very impressive, you can only imagine back in the 1970's how much this would have cost!
It could be the most extravagant piece of IT that Hergé incorporated into the stories…
jock123
#12 · Posted: 24 Nov 2012 17:37
rodney:
I always found the TV in Picaros very impressive

Yes, it's nice, isn't it? I'm pretty sure that it's based on the work of Eero Saarinen; he designed tables and chairs (most famously seen as set dressing aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise on the original Star Trek series), with a distinctive curved pedestal leg, sweeping to a circular base, which was called the "Tulip".
Whilst Mr. Saarinen died in the early sixties, a "Tulip" design TV set, very similar to the Captain's, was on display at the Palais du CNIT (Centre des nouvelles industries et technologies/ Centre for New Industry and Technology) in Paris in the early seventies, suggesting his æstehtic was being carried on.
If you Google for "tulip design television", you should see an image of the one I mean (I'm not posting a link, as they seem to be on image library sites, and I'm not going to risk being billed for using the picture, thank you very much!).

rodney:
It could be the most extravagant piece of AV equipment Hergé incorporated into the stories...!

You may be right! There's also the TV set that Calculus invented (impractical, but certainly extravagant), and the impressive hi-fi in Picaros (apparently based on Hergé's own set-up, which was by all accounts state of the art audiophile stuff, and thus also extravagant), but I actually would suggest that the TV set in Black Island when it first appeared was probably a greater outlay in its day; leaving out the fact that it was apparently, and incorrectly, colour, it was certainly more extravagant, given the paucity of TV programming at the time!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!