Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Hergé Museum: Would a wax statue of Hergé be a good Idea?

liempatricia
#1 · Posted: 20 Apr 2013 04:41
Hi guys! Been a long time since the last time I posted here, and I just want to share an idea...
Wouldn't it be awesome if the Hergé Museum had a statue of him made of wax, like the ones in Madame Tussauds?
What do you guys think of this idea?
Thanks.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 22 Apr 2013 04:39
Absolutely! He deserves it much more than One Direction (apparently they've just been immortalised).
liempatricia
#3 · Posted: 24 Apr 2013 14:53
Tintinrulz,I also heard the One Direction news (which actually broke my heart, because my favorite band, Big Time Rush, aren't being immortalized too!) and I agree with your statement.
I recently posted on Madame Tussaud's Facebook page, and apparently that request was "denied" because, according to the museum, it lacked votes, was unpopular, or something like that.
I think we should either gather together on that page to pursue Madame Tussaud's about this, or ask the Hergé Foundation or Moulinsart to get Madame Tussaud's to do it.
I actually doubt that they will help.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 24 Apr 2013 17:53
I'll be honest and say I've absolutely no desire to see a Hergé wax-work, or any other, for that matter...
I went to Madame Tussaud's as a child, and I can't say I was impressed, as they all seemed equally lifeless, and many of the figures could only be identified by reading the name because the likeness wasn't any good.
I went there again a couple of years ago to a film-launch being held on their premises, and even though it wasn't in the main part of the building I did see the world's biggest wax-work (of The Incredible Hulk), and things don't seem to have improved that much over the years.
I'd much rather see genuine Hergé artifacts in the museum, be they art or things he owned and used, than a wax-work by an artist who didn't know Hergé and never met him's attempt at making something which might or might not be recognizable...
So I won't be pursuing anyone about this, I'm afraid...!
mct16
#5 · Posted: 24 Apr 2013 22:42
I remember the Marvel waxworks and always wondered what they were all about, especially the fact that they included Ms. Marvel who, aside from her name, is hardly the most distinguished or well-known of super-heroines. Storm or Rogue of the X-Men who have been more to the point.

But I think an exhibit of Herge and his characters would be worthwhile, maybe it could include other distinguished writers and creations like Alan Moore with V and Rorschach or Uderzo and Goscinny with Asterix and Obelix. Certainly be more entertaining than the waxes of the Beckhams, Pierce Brosnans and Madonna that I saw last time. It was like Celebrity Big Brother, albeit more civilised.
mondrian
#6 · Posted: 4 May 2013 19:55
No no no no no-

Very very few lookalike statues are easy on the eye. Even the very best in the art history too often invite onlooker to look for discrepancies. I won't even consider giving an opinion on wax statues...

That said, Hergé's characters are something that could possibly look nice as wax statues.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 4 May 2013 22:55
mondrian:
Hergé's characters are something that could possibly look nice as wax statues.

That has happened - Tintin, Snowy, Haddock, Calculus & the Thom(p)sons were added to the Musée Grévin's collection in Paris in 1961.
There's a few video clips & photographs online featuring Hergé at their unveiling.

Most of the figures are okay (Haddock looks quite good), but the less said about Tintin's face, the better.

I wonder if they're still on display?
mondrian
#8 · Posted: 7 May 2013 21:14
Thanks for the interesting info.

A link perhaps? (or alternatively, a link to a good googling guide, I'm beginning to feel daft as I can't find the video).
Moderator Note: That does surprise us - it honestly only took the selection of three words from Richard's post to turn up pages of links... What do you think you might need to Google to find information about Tintin at the Musée Grévin...?
We could have hidden our hints on parchment scrolls inserted in the hollow masts of model ships, but life's too short, eh...? ;-)
The Interrogative Tintinologist Team
mondrian
#9 · Posted: 9 May 2013 14:20
Oh I see. I was being daft and tired, simple things become impossible sometimes. But thanks, had never seen those before.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!