Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper - any news and updates?

rodney
#1 · Posted: 1 Dec 2013 12:17
Hi,

I would be very interested to hear of any news and updates for Leslie.

Has she made any public interviews recently as i'm sure there would be some great insight to hear from this lady.
With the passing of time she is one of the few people left alive who had a strong connection with Herge and the world of Tintin.

Has she seen the Tintin movie and if so did she enjoy it?
What are her current projects if any?
Whats been her proudest achievement with her work on Tintin?
What was the most difficult Tintin book to translate?
Has she any interesting insight or trivia on Herge she could share?

I'd love to know more because we may regret not asking these and other questions at a later point in time..

Rod
jock123
#2 · Posted: 1 Dec 2013 19:30
It has to be said that as an elderly, retired lady, Ms Lonsdale-Cooper has remained relatively active (she spoke to the BBC for the Frank Gardner documentary, for example).

Over the years she has spoken at length about the books, Hergé and Tintin from the perspective of translator and publisher, and given talks with her colleague, the late Michael Turner, as well as being interviewed by this site; I also remember hearing tell that there had been an extensive archival interview undertaken by the Studios Hergé to preserve her recollections, and hopefully some day this will be available to study.

However, she is now withdrawn from the fray, and in retirement, so while your enthusiasm and admiration are obvious, let's not set off in some sort of pursuit of a lady who richly deserves a long and peaceful retirement!
rodney
#3 · Posted: 2 Dec 2013 12:26
jock123:
I also remember hearing tell that there had been an extensive archival interview undertaken by the Studios Hergé to preserve her recollections, and hopefully some day this will be available to study.

Sorry was this from her or was it mentioned by someone else..
jock123:
let's not set off in some sort of pursuit of a lady who richly deserves a long and peaceful retirement!

Hear, hear! I wasn't going to go knocking on her door :)
Was just wondering about updates, if any..

Is the Frank Gardner doco available online anywhere?
jock123
#4 · Posted: 3 Dec 2013 09:36
rodney:
Sorry was this from her or was it mentioned by someone else.

Not that it really makes a difference to know (it's still only hearsay either way, and I might have misremembered or imagined it), I can't remember for certain, but most likely not directly from her.
She's not reticent about her work on Tintin, and I'm sure if she felt that she wanted to impart anything else on the subject she would; likewise, she has already told us a lot, so perhaps she feels she has said all she has to say on the matter - it must only have been a small fraction of her career in publishing.

rodney:
Is the Frank Gardner doco available online anywhere?

No, it's a BBC programme, and isn't currently on iPlayer (which would only be available in the U.K. anyway); it hasn't been released commercially either, and I'm not certain if any foreign stations ever showed it.
Please also remember that, as indicated in our site rules, we don't under any circumstances allow requests for links to, or information about how to find or use, download sites or other unofficial methods of obtaining copyright material.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!