Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin and colonialism

petelor64
#1 · Posted: 7 Jan 2005 20:16
What do people think about the connections between Tintin as a joyous youth who gets in adventures, and his connections with the legacy of colonialism? I have a Tintin Tattoo, and people who are poliitcally-minded accuse me of being in cahoots with Belgian Colonialism because of it... Does anyone know how to counteract these horrifying, if not true accusations?
thmthm
#2 · Posted: 8 Jan 2005 00:15 · Edited by: thmthm
think of it this way - if tintin in Congo had been the only comic he did - they MIGHT have a point ... but we know thats not the case...

these people who are pickin on you have nothing substiantial to contribute so they concentrate on petty things like this...like the people outside the Lacey Peterson courtroom cheering when he got the death penalty - bunch of histrionics who think they are part of the "show"

next time someobody accuses you of that, just give them a look that should be the equivelant of pitiful-laughable-disgust...sort of like the look you get when watching one of the Simpson sisters on TV

the more important issue here is your tintin tatoo...I thought I was a fan - you put me to shame...

thanks for letting me air out my frustrations
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 8 Jan 2005 01:19
I assume by “politically-minded” you mean politically correct. I've always felt that you'd have to follow Ghandi's example to be truly politically correct and then you probably wouldn't be bothered about Tintin tattoos...:)

You could argue that there was just one connection; the Tintin in the Congo book which was written and drawn between 1930 and 31. It was his second book and Hergé was then under the guidance of his boss, the right-wing catholic priest Abbé Wallez. Wallez decided that Tintin should go to the Congo - Hergé wanted to take him to America - so it's really a piece of Christian missionary propaganda. And there's far more to Tintin than that book.

So having a Tintin tattoo wouldn't neccesarily mean that you were “in cahoots with Belgian Colonialism”. Some people do tend to make sweeping statements before finding out the full facts.

Out of interest what does your tattoo depict exactly?
thmthm
#4 · Posted: 8 Jan 2005 02:30 · Edited by: thmthm
This just in from the AP wire - (not making this up)
In Congo...UN workers accused of sexually abusing girls as young as 12 and 13...
your politically-minded friends unfortunately might have some ammunition...
I thought the worst news of the week was the child trafficking after the Tsunami...
what a wonderful world we live in...
petelor64
#5 · Posted: 8 Jan 2005 20:21
My tattoo is Tintin's head from "The Adventures of Tintin" title image they put on the later Little Brown editions, a pretty straight-forward image of him on my right shoulder.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!