Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Hergé 1957-58 Antarctic Expedition Logo: Helicopter in Weston-super-Mare

jock123
#1 · Posted: 23 Nov 2016 19:03 · Edited by: jock123
Thanks to a tip from a listener to the radio interview I did yesterday, The Helicopter Museum (from their base in Weston-super-Mare) have very kindly provided pictures of a Bell 47H-1in their collection, used by the 1957-58 Belgian Antarctic Expedition, and bearing a logo designed by Hergé.
Known for commercial and graphic art outside of the cartoon field in the early part of his career, this must be one of the latest public designs I know of which doesn't feature Tintin, Snowy, or one of his cartoon creations, so is a very interesting thing to see.
Thank you to Elfan Ap Rees for the information, and to the Museum for responding so quickly to enquiries!
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 29 Nov 2016 00:18
That is interesting. I recall seeing this logo in the book, Hergé and Tintin - Reporters. If I'm remembering rightly (I don't have the book quite to hand) it's maybe shown there in pencil sketch form at the edge/bottom of a Tintin pencil layout, though possibly I'm muddling it up with something else in that book. Anyway, nice to see it as it was actually used.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!