Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Is Tintin a Christian?

Page  Page 1 of 5:  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

JuvenileTintinFan
#1 · Posted: 20 Jan 2005 10:31 · Edited by: JuvenileTintinFan
I personally like to think that Tintin is Christian: He shows advanced theological knowledge at the end of 'Red Rackham's Treasure,' and he has high principles and qualities. Anyone care to comment?
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#2 · Posted: 20 Jan 2005 21:48
Though it's on a slightly different slant, there are some good points with regard to this topic in Hergé and Catholicism.

Ed
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 20 Jan 2005 22:31
I'm Christian and I think he may be a Christian, but I don't know if he is a true Christian (as in having a personal relationship with Christ). As Hergé was drawn to Eastern philosophies I believe he abandoned Tintin being Christian.

There is certainly Hergé having evidence of Christian belief in Congo, Shooting Star, Rackham's Treasure and some others, but it is brief.

Moderator Note: While we respect your right to a point of view, this isn't the proper forum to discuss matters of theology or doctrine with which other members might take issue (e.g. your interpretation of what defines a Christian isn't necessarily held to be true by other people who also feel themselves to be Christian); let us not walk into controversy which has in the past challenged philosophers and theologians with greater understanding of the subject that can ever be dealt with satisfactorily here.
The Tintinologist Team
JuvenileTintinFan
#4 · Posted: 21 Jan 2005 01:23
Well, I guess everyone likes to see Tintin in their own way, and since I was encouraged to become a missionary at eight by the books where he helped people in need (I know, you don't take advice from storybooks!) I'd love to think that he assists people because of his calling, even though he pobably doesn't.
But the seemingly comical pages contain a lot of truth. My own grandmother (Chinese) experienced the Opium War and The Boxer Rebellion, and my father (European) is a biblical teacher and travels all around the world. I guess I can say that Tintin inspired my life, in a way.
OJG
#5 · Posted: 21 Jan 2005 12:23
Obviously there's no way of being certain, but I don't imagine Tintin to be a Christian. I am myself, but I just think that Tintin wasn't meant to have strong views which can cause such tension between people. I always imaigned him as being something of an agnostic (open-minded) about the existence of God.
rastapopoulos
#6 · Posted: 21 Jan 2005 12:32
Tintin cannot be a Christian as he never goes to church. I was told as a child that if I didn't go to church every Sunday, then I would go to hell. You can't be a part-time Christian.
Tintinrulz
#7 · Posted: 21 Jan 2005 13:49
You wouldn't go to hell, for not going to church each Sunday. It's not by our works that we are saved but by the Grace of God! No you can't be a part-time Christian, but being a Christian means having a personal relationship with Christ, admitting yours sins, asking for forgiveness and believing He is your Saviour! Christ-like attitude should be demonstrated in everything you do. No I doubt Tintin is a Christian, but he may have been in Soviets and Congo being Catholic and all. But later on he isn't.

Moderator Note: This is why the note was made above. One of the tenets of the Catholic Church, and also held in the Eastern Orthodox Church and Revisionist Christians, is salvation through good works; while this may not fit the interpretation that you as a Protestant give to Christian teaching, it is a widely held Christian belief. We have to point out again that these are not the forums in which to argue such points, and ask all members to be respectful in their dealings with sensitive issues.
The Tintinologist Team
Karaboudjan
#8 · Posted: 21 Jan 2005 14:25
Presumably Tintin is Catholic, like his creator. Not that the albums ever go into much detail on those issues.

The one openly religious character in the series (apart from the Tibetan monks) is the crazy wannabe prophet in 'The Shooting Star'. Not the best of examples.
mitsuhirato
#9 · Posted: 21 Jan 2005 23:31
Tintin may himself officially be Christian, having strong origins in Le Petit Vingtieme (supplement to a Catholic paper), but a lack of focus on religion in the books is key to Tintin's international success. I'm not saying being Christian is a bad thing, but not elaborating on Tintin's faith allows him to have a broader appeal.
gnolles
#10 · Posted: 29 Jan 2005 14:32
I think he is a humanist who has lost the faith of his prime childhood, after seeing so much of the world.
I think he doesn't care too much about trascendance and that's why we like him!

Page  Page 1 of 5:  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!