Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Choosing Books to Buy: Old vs New, Little Brown vs Egmont?

The_Balm
#1 · Posted: 6 Mar 2017 03:38
I'm finally going to start collecting all the Tintin books. I've wanted to for years, but I've never taken the time to figure out what all the different editions are. Is there a timeline of various print editions?
I know I want new, hardcover, English, full size and hopefully matching.
I'm in America and I grew up reading Little Brown hardcovers with matte paper from the library. The only paperbacks I've seen had glossy paper and the new font.
I read that Egmont switched to glossy paper and changed the lettering from Hyslop in the early 2000s. It looks like Little Brown did the same.
I'm not a huge fan of the new font, but I can deal with it. I do like Little Brown's glossy paper.
How easy is it to get copies with the Hyslop lettering?
I think I want to order them from Amazon UK. The price for Little Brown hardcovers on Amazon.com is $40. The price for Egmont hardcovers on Amazon.co.uk is only $13.
Are there any differences between the current Little Brown and Egmont hardcovers?
For example, this US book and this UK one?
Has anyone compared the printing/paper?
The translation is exactly the same right?
Is there a reason that the Egmont hardcover of The Calculus Affair is from 2003 and the paperback is from 2012? Are there any differences?
I know there's been some similar threads, but I couldn't find much info about Little Brown vs Egmont. Sorry if this all seems nitpicky.
After years of wishing I was collecting Tintin I want make sure I do it right.
snowybella
#2 · Posted: 10 Mar 2017 13:39
I have a mixture of Little Brown and Egmont, all in paperpack, and they all look the same. I don't know if there are going to be any differences, sorry.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!