Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin - photojournalist or journalist

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Harrock n roll
#11 · Posted: 22 Feb 2005 15:49
'Soviets', with its initial statement that "all photographs are absolutely authentic, taken by Tintin himself"

It wasn't until I read the first panel of Soviets (in yamilah's “rebus” thread) that I realised there was a reference to “photojournalism”. But a photojournalist would go on an assignment exclusively to take photos whereas Tintin actually writes a story while there - so, a journalist who occasionally took a few photos?

And that's over with the true 'reporter'...

Don't forget in Land of Black Gold he interviews the director of Speedol.

Now empirically anyone can see...

Not me I'm afraid!
yamilah
#12 · Posted: 24 Feb 2005 14:19
Thanks Harrock n roll for your comments.
...a photojournalist would go on an assignment exclusively to take photos whereas Tintin actually writes a story while there - so, a journalist who occasionally took a few photos?

Tintin's camera can be seen on the announcement frame of the 4th of January 1929, while he is passing by the Kremlin..., which is reproduced on the album cover...

Don't forget in Land of Black Gold he interviews the director of Speedol.

Well this time Tintin has no camera, does not even take notes, the director is no local stereotypical cliche, and is not reproduced on the album cover...

Now empirically anyone can see...

Not me I'm afraid!

Well the French edition of Congo's cover shows a giraffe, reflecting the film Tintin makes in the savannah, and America's cover shows an Indian scene, reflecting the photo Tintin takes in the Far West...

As childish as the rest, isn't it, but that's how it works: no prejudice, just empiricism, no patent meaning for the time being, but a lot of meditation and thought transmission required...
Karaboudjan
#13 · Posted: 25 Feb 2005 17:25
I always assumed the books were his reports too. Certainly that's how the sheikh Patrash Pasha (not sure of spelling) recognises him when he's brought to his tent.
snafu
#14 · Posted: 25 Feb 2005 19:42
Well the French edition of Congo's cover shows a giraffe, reflecting the film Tintin makes in the savannah, and America's cover shows an Indian scene, reflecting the photo Tintin takes in the Far West...

But after "Tintin in America", Tintin does not work for any paper since he does not take any pictures nor writes any report for a news service. (In "Tintin in Tibet", however, Tintin was ready to photograph the flying priest and the Abominable Snowman, but those were for the general public and were not part of any photo essay of a newspaper or magazine).
yamilah
#15 · Posted: 26 Feb 2005 10:46
Exactly, snafu, after 'America', that's over with the true 'reporter', who actually did nothing but 'report' his stereotypic 'cliches' pictures on the related covers of the only three concerned albums...

In Tibet, isn't Haddock trying -and failing- to take a photo of the flying monk??
snafu
#16 · Posted: 26 Feb 2005 16:09
Yamilah, it was Haddock who suggested that Tintin take all those pictures in "Tintin in Tibet"...

Nevertheless, the two generally functioned as a team in that story, so both made the story...

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!