Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Favourite Haddock insults

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

yamilah
#21 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 16:37 · Edited by: yamilah
Thanks for your answers.

Considering this GRAND CRIC is a meaningless 'obscure passage' associated with 'Indians' (skulls) + an 'unseen transmission system' (parrots) + a 'spatiotemporal fault'* (unseen island found via an untimely meridian), it might be capable of 'thought transmission', i.e. be kind of a rebus or a 'distorted expression' intended to create a 'language barrier' to make it unseen, despite its undeniable alliterative qualities...

* please see related thread
jock123
#22 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 17:00
“Jack” is an odd word in English, in that it occurs in several compound words (jack-rabbit, jack-boot, jumping-jack, “every man-jack of them”, and jack-tar) but without any clear etymology as to why.

It also turns up, in black-jack, or cosh, so presumably a “jack” might “crack” you (it might even be a cracker-jack) - perhaps a hint of the pressgang for an old salt?
yamilah
#23 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 17:52 · Edited by: yamilah
jock123
"Jack" is an odd word in English

My preferred 'jack' is the one in the box...

Maybe this GRANDCRIC should not be translated nor transposed nor undistorted into English ??
Richard
UK Correspondent
#24 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 18:06
I suppose that's the only answer, it's untranslatable so the English translators substituted the 'ration my rum' phrase. I was just curious if it bore any meaning in French, or simply a pun or idiom that wouldn't work in English.
yamilah
#25 · Posted: 15 Jun 2005 18:22 · Edited by: yamilah
Richard
it's untranslatable

I meant if this GRANCRIC is a 'distorted' expression, working in the same way Arumbayan* 'erases' marollien, then it should be possible to undistort it by finding its obscure source...

* a language spoken by South American ... Indians. Hence please don't forget Prof. Paul Cantonneau's other major interest...
jock123
#26 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 00:25
I’d bear in mind what was said by the translators in the past - they were constrained to find things which fitted the space available; it may be that the expression wasn’t so much untranslateable as too long to render into a direct translation.

Also they took liberties with most of the curses throughout the canon - “Thundering typhoons!” and “Blistering barnacles” aren’t translations from French, just vaguely nautical alliterations, so it isn’t really such a surprise that “Ration my rum!” isn’t either. Hergé’s stock of expressions given to Haddock were just words whih he found funny or again nautical, so I personally wouldn’t give any more weight to this expression than any other in the series.
yamilah
#27 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 14:43 · Edited by: yamilah
jock123
it isn't really such a surprise that "Ration my rum!" isn't (a translation)

It never surprised me either, and I do quite agree with this assertion...
Still, an easy direct meaning can be found for any original and trianslated curse...
except this odd GRIANCRIC...
yamilah
#28 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 15:17
Strange to see how my reply posted at 06:43:33 today remains invisible in the 'Curious about' list...
jock123
#29 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 15:22
yamilah
Still, an easy direct meaning can be found for any original and trianslated curse... except this odd GRIANCRIC...

Actually, I would imagine that a number of English expressions in regular use come pretty close: “Strike me!”, “Swipe me!” and (Popeye’s favourite) “Blow me down!”; however, the translators do like their alliteration, and “Ration my rum!” sounds good…
Harrock n roll
#30 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 15:34
Anybody ever wondered why barnacles would be blistering?

My theory is that barnacles build up on the underside of ships and need regularly to be scraped away when the ship is in dry-dock. This hard scraping induces blisters on the hands...

Well, it's a theory...

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!