Favourite Haddock insults

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

jock123
#41 · Posted: 17 Feb 2017 23:48
Roger:
Glad I found this site!

Glad you came! :-)

Roger:
One of my favorite things about the Tintin books is Captain Haddock's tirades!

They are certainly unforgettable!

Roger:
I checked the list on this site but I think there is one missing.

It's not missing, but it's not spelt as you are writing it: it is listed as Bashi-bazouks!
It's such a good one, and so popular, it would have been hard to miss...! ;-)
tintinforever
#42 · Posted: 18 Feb 2017 03:08
I love that insult too -- 'Bashi-bazouks' were mercenary soldiers from the days of the Ottoman Empire.

In the days of empire rivalry between the great powers like France, UK, Belgium, Germany and the Ottoman Empire, perhaps words like that were considered a kind of insult, expressing a kind of villainous character?

Pierre Sterckx has an excellent chapter in his book Tintin: Herge's Masterpiece about the personality of Captain Haddock, and he analyses his outbursts very closely.

Sterckx's Haddock chapter is all great fun, though the author gets lost in metaphysical, philosophical speculation at points, which can look a bit too serious. The French and Belgians love their art and their philosophy, and they sure love their Tintin!

And quite right too!

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!