Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: Noting his travels in India and surrounding countries

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

szplug
#11 · Posted: 3 Jun 2005 17:02
I had wanted to reply to Yamillah's post , but the darn map would not open on my PC. But anyways, Yamillah has done all the hard work himself.

Yes they do visit Ghiasuddin Tughlaq's Tomb (in the English version at least) as Harrock has pointed out, though it is not mentioned by name - I am from Delhi so I should know... ;-)

The "Cow scene" looks like the crowded, dinghy areas near Red Fort/ Jama Masjid. That place is called Old Delhi or the Walled city, because before the Brits arrived, the town limit was confined within a wall, pierced by gates at several places, with one such gate visible in page 7, frame 7.

Thus Tinitin cannot be in an area near the Red Fort in the frame just after that of Tughlaq's tomb, and just as I have said before, Tintin is contemplating going back to see Jama Masjid from Tughlaq's Tomb (Jama Masjid is just accross the road from the Red Fort), when it was far more logical to have seen both places which are so near to each other at the same time on their visit.

Yamillah has of course solved one mystery: that the Tughlaq tomb frame has been 'inserted' only in the English edition. But why has it been inserted in the first place???

Now for some airport info... :-)

As Harrock has correctly researched, The Wellingdon airport is now called Safdarjung airport.
It is more of an aerodrome - with a short runway, hemmed in by a road over a bridge at one end, that is suitable for small private aircraft to land.
The biggest planes arriving were Dakotas, or more recently Dornier Do228 twin-props of a feeder airline called Vayudoot.

As for the main airport, it has two main terminals: one for the International flights, called Indira Gandhi International (IGI) to the South of the runway; the other called Palam which is for domestic flights and it is to the north of the runway.

Since there is no subway below the runway, one has to make a very long circuit of about 6 kms around the runway to get from one terminal to the other.

- Pyne
Harrock n roll
#12 · Posted: 3 Jun 2005 17:23
szplug:
the Tughlaq tomb frame has been 'inserted' only in the English edition. But why has it been inserted in the first place???

Yamillah is mistaken, I am afraid. I don't believe it has been inserted - it is there to see in the original French version.
I have the facsimile edition which has some small differences - for example, the plane which crashed was originally said to be Indian Airways (a real airline name) which Hergé had to change, after complaints from them, to the fictional Sari Airways - but the tomb is certainly there in the background.

I'm no expert on Delhi (although I have been there :)) but I can see from the map that the tomb is nearer to the Qutab Minar than the Red Fort.

Obviously Tintin and Haddock didn't have a clue where they were going, but perhaps they were going through their guide book alphabetically; Qutab Minar, Red Fort, Tughlaq's Tomb... ;-)

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!