Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Passwords used in the stories.

#1 · Posted: 12 Jun 2005 15:15 · Edited by: Moderator
Firstly I'd like to remark upon how great this site is, its wonderful to have the opportunity to chat with other Tintin fans!

Since childhood I fell in love with The Adventures of Tintin, I collected every book - including 'The Lake of Sharks' which I was not terribly fond of.

Not too long ago I foolishly lent most of my collection to an overseas traveller whom I took pity on. He dissapeared overseas after defiling them with grease & stains. Poor, poor Tintin!!

Anyway I digress:
I've since begun re-establishing the collection & have noticed the old publishers are no longer responsible for Tintin. The new publishers are Egmont (2003) and I could be mistaken but it seems there have been some changes made. I cannot be certain of the suspected changes to some of Snowy's lines, however I'm pretty sure about one line in particular.

Near the end of 'The Cigars of The Pharaoh' the cult members have a password fiasco after they suspect they've been infiltrated. If my memory serves me the original password which is shouted out by the forgetful member is 'The dogs bark and the camels pass'. Yet in this new edition the password is 'KIH-OSKH and GAIPAJAMA'.

I sincerely hope I'm mistaken, however if anyone has a pre-Egmont version and the time to check I'd be very grateful.

Once again, great site :)

#2 · Posted: 12 Jun 2005 22:45
Hello prof,

My Magnet version says KIH-OSKH and GAIPAJAMA! My Facsimile (French) edition says KIH-OSKH et RAWHAJ-POUTALAH!

I wonder if you're remembering a line from another book? I'm a bit out of practice of actually reading my Tintin books, but that othe rline sounds familiar to me...
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 12 Jun 2005 22:54
I believe "the dog's bark ..." was in The Red Sea Sharks, when the guide takes Tintin and Haddock to the temple where the Emir is in hiding - the guards demand the password.
#4 · Posted: 13 Jun 2005 01:13
Ahhh excellent, that is quite a relief!

Thankyou Tybaltstone & Richard
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 13 Jun 2005 17:53
Incidentally, I recently discovered that “the dogs bark...” is really an idiomatic expression in quite a few languages (although I've never heard it used in English) meaning “let the world say what it will.” The French version is “les chiens aboient, la caravane passe” and is probably Arabic in origin. It's proper translation would be “the dogs bark and the caravan moves on.”

I've always liked this particular scene in the English edition of The Red Sea Sharks (page 28), where the guide gets his password in a muddle (“the camels bark... er, no...”). I don't actually have the French edition to compare but perhaps someone with a copy would be kind enough to transcribe the French text of the guide's mistake?
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#6 · Posted: 13 Jun 2005 18:02
Most certainly, Chris!

"Les chameaux aboient... euh! non... Les chiens aboient, la caravane passe."

Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 13 Jun 2005 18:41
Cheers Ed!

So, it's the same in French - “the camels bark...” In a way it probably works better in English just because the camels aren't actually mentioned by name in the original French expression (OK, ‘caravans’ refers indirectly to camels...).

P.S. If nobody objects I thought it better to change the title of this thread to “Passwords used in the adventures of Tintin”.
#8 · Posted: 7 Jul 2005 20:47
In the same Red Sea Sharks (original version, p.60), a 'password' is revealed in a newspaper:

Officiellement aboli depuis 1815
L'esclavage existe encore!
mot de passe des marchands de chair humaine: "Coke en stock"

Officially abolished since 1815
Slavery still exists!
The human flesh traders'
password is "Coke en Stock"

i.e. the original album's title itself...

Please could someone give here the English rendering of that passage?
#9 · Posted: 8 Jul 2005 01:06 · Edited by: marsbar
yamilah wrote: 'Officially abolished since 1815 Slavery still exists! The human flesh traders' password is "Coke en Stock"' ... could someone give here the English rendering of that passage?

The same headline in the English language edition* reads:
New revelations shock the world
Slavery - It still exists
Traffickers in human lives use code-word "COKE"

*page 60, frame 1. Mammoth edition, 1990.
#10 · Posted: 11 Jul 2005 15:13 · Edited by: yamilah
Traffickers in human lives use code-word "COKE"
Thanks for your answer irene.

As "COKE" doesn't appear in the English title (The Red Sea Sharks), we are facing the same rendering biais already met with some original "code-words" and their renderings:
- avatars* (rendered by 'adventures', in Soviets 1st plate)...
- cercle solaire irlandais* (rendered by 'blizzard ueda etc', in Lotus, p.19), & its distorted synonym GRIANCRIS* (i.e. modern Scottish Gaelic 'grianchrios', rendered by 'RRRATION MY RRRUM', in Rackham, p.28)...
- L'Ile Noire* (rendered by 'The Black Island', see the 'British Isles' thread)...

I think the original version is important because if Herge chose a code-word ('Coke en Stock') as a title, the remaining covers could stand for an unseen series of such code-words, that might have to be set in a timely order, in kind of a very spacious ...er... 'Indian file'...

A series of such codewords written** or drawn** by an artist who confessed 'he managed to say what he had to say' could merely be this artist's unseen and announced message, couldn't it?

This 'message' would match with the many 'clear delineated' spatiotemporal faults** (impossible speeds or duplications) in a corpus which is:

- space-occupying, so that it can easily hide scattered internal data such as 'Indian'-linked unseen transmission systems and obscure passages*** among about 20.000 frames, or 1500 pages...

- time-related, as it takes time to match these intermittently drawn-and-written elements with external data, and to read them using the reverse procedure which could include stars***, an age-old time measure...

Such a personal 'message' would match with the author's odd attitude to deny anyone the right to countersign his albums, wouldn't it?

The achieved 'message' would also match with the author's strange desire to ban any posthumous album, wouldn't it?

The major role of speed in the corpus would match with the assertion the sudden acceleration gives Tintin the distinctive quiff with which he is synonymous*. The little tuft of hair will remain, and never droops, wouldn't it?

And all the above would match with the other official assertion Tintin is a totally unique world, wouldn't it?

* please search for related threads...
** please see Is there a "bible" for using the 'Ligne Claire' style? thread...

*** hinting that the author borrowed strange transmission systems, among them other Indian(s) language(s) & grianchrios (Prof. Paul Cantonneau's two interests...) to communicate his unseen message to the few readers who might be interested...

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!