Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Haddock: late debut appearance

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Karaboudjan
#11 · Posted: 18 Jul 2005 12:50
aliamerjee:
I prefer the non-Captain adventures more than the ones with the Captain in them.

I'd be interested to see how many people are of this opinion; I'd always assumed he was universally loved...
snafu
#12 · Posted: 18 Jul 2005 14:22
Yes, I agree that Haddock replaced or even surpassed Snowy in many ways, and even the Tintinworld's Scholars among the Scholars embrace this view.

Snowy, however, is not completely diminished in his role (Tintin yelling at him, using him to seek things out, etc.), even though when he talks, it's more with himself or with other animals...

Perhaps Herge thought that it was high time to bring in a real human sidekick for Tintin (The Twins don't count...their paths initially coincide before they become part of Tintin in most of the pre-Haddock stories)...
Karaboudjan
#13 · Posted: 18 Jul 2005 20:58
In order to lend his world depth and scope, he couldn't really talk only to his dog forever.
theone
#14 · Posted: 16 Sep 2005 03:09
About Haddock's alchohol problem, there was one scene in Crab of the Golden claws which really did affect me when reading it, morese then anything else, I don't know why.

It was the scene when Allan comes back to check on Haddock while Tintin hides. The way Allan says "that's okay, drink the whiskey, you'll feel better" and the way the scene where Haddock is drinking the cup is drawn, it made me feel kind of empty when I first read it. It felt like a man talking to a baby, like the need for whiskey had deprived him of free will. As if the whiskey had become his entire life and the solution to all his problems...

Of course, I was happy when he pushes it away in the next frame as a promise to Tintin.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!