Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Differences between Casterman & Egmont editions?

Rascar Capac
#1 · Posted: 14 Jul 2005 21:28
I was wondering if there was any difference in the two editions, as i noticed the other day that some of my editions are casterman and some are egemont?

thankx peeps!
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 15 Jul 2005 06:11
And I was thinking you were announcing a new Beat-Em-Up!

Egmont currently holds the publishing rights in the UK so most things new in the UK will be Egmont, there have been various publishers over the years such as Magnet and Methuen.

Casterman publish books mainly in French but a few of the black and white facsimiles are published by Casterman in the UK

Rik
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 15 Jul 2005 12:36
Casterman also published the English albums at one point (or at least their name was on the covers) - I'm not sure if it was 'an imprint of ...' as Mammoth was of Methuen. As far as I know, however, there are no differences inside between the Egmont and the English Casterman editions (except Casterman probably used less plasticky paper than Egmont).
varun0883
#4 · Posted: 15 Jul 2005 13:07
There is one more thing too.Apart from casterman and Egmont there is also Brown,Little books being published for tintin including 3-on-1 series!
jock123
#5 · Posted: 15 Jul 2005 13:20
I think Casterman are in effect the master licensee for the Tintin books, and the “local” publishers are sub-licensing the material. I think they are also likely to be the source of all the actual books (which I think were printed by Tournai, but that’s off the top of my head, and I have an idea they may be being printed in China or somewhere these days), so the sort of paper etc. derives from them; maybe different territories can chose the actual stock used.

Anyway, that’s why there are such great similarities - the books are the same, apart from the text in them.
jockosjungle
#6 · Posted: 15 Jul 2005 16:05
Little Brown books are the US publisher I think, I think Amazon import the 3-in-1 from USA as they work out slightly cheaper than the UK counterparts

Rik

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!