Tibet-Tintin in Himalayas
Castafiore-Tintin in Merlinspike
Flight714-Trouble in Java
Picaros-Mission Tapiocopolis
Edit:
Mystry and lake of sharks-Tintin in Borduria Frontier
snafu
#2 · Posted: 18 Jul 2005 14:18
Most of the alternative titles are conceivable, but a few things to be aware of...

With the exception of "The Black Island", Herge apparently doesn't use subnational regions as part of the titles. Nor does he use the names of the other characters.

"The Blue Lotus": Tintin did NOT go to Japan. It should be "Tintin in China" according to your naming scheme, although Tintin later goes to Tibet.

"Tintin in the North Pole": Tintin did not visit the Pole; he only went to the region.

Tintin also visited several countries several times, so it's hard to say if "Tintin in Syldavia" (or in Arabia) would have worked.

"Trouble in Java": would Herge put the tone of the adventure to show imminent trouble?

"Mission Tapiocapolis". "That's a good one!" NICE!!!

Good Try, though!!!
varun0883
#3 · Posted: 18 Jul 2005 14:34
"Tintin in the North Pole": Tintin did not visit the Pole; he only went to the region. .Its ok and is acceptable as he was near North pole or I can rename it as "Tintin aboard Sirius"
Tintin also visited several countries several times, so it's hard to say if "Tintin in Syldavia" (or in Arabia) would have worked. The entire Ottokar's skeptre is based in Syldavia.True he has visited many times there but in this he had a brief stay in syldavia and it was his duty to save Syldavia's honour
Trouble in Java": would Herge put the tone of the adventure to show imminent trouble?
I agree but if had named it as Hijack of Flight 714????
snafu
#4 · Posted: 18 Jul 2005 15:06
"Tintin in the North Pole": Tintin traveled aboard the "Aurora", not the "Sirius" (The "Sirius" had a small appearance in "The Shooting Star" and was featured in "Red Rackham's Treasure").

As for "Flight 714", how about "Flight Over Indonesia"?
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 19 Jul 2005 03:33
snafu it's hard to say if "Tintin in Syldavia" (or in Arabia) would have worked.

Indeed King Ottokar’s Sceptre was originally titled Tintin en Syldavie when it was published in Le Petit Vingtième - it worked for a while at least. I rather like it as a title simply because Syldavia is imaginary - which may even be why he decided to change it.

I’ve always thought The Shooting Star should have been called Tintin and the Really Huge Mushrooms. Anyone else...?
snafu
#6 · Posted: 20 Jul 2005 04:09
The Mushrooms on the meteorite were such a minor part of the story. "The Shooting Star" could have been called "The Magic[al] Meteorite" or "The Mysterious Meteorite".
varun0883
#7 · Posted: 20 Jul 2005 14:17
Edit
Tintin in/and/at:
Red reckham treasure-Tintin and the 'Eagle Cross'
Cigars of Paroh-Tintin and the Secret Poison
Blue Lotus-Tintin in Shanghai
Congo-Tintin in Dark Continent[with ref to geographical loaction,not otherwise]
snafu
#8 · Posted: 21 Jul 2005 15:45
"Tintin and the Secret Poison" would have worked just as well for "The Blue Lotus", since Tintin has to confront Mr. Wang's afflicted son and himself thought he would be done in by the poison, not to mention that a major sub-plot involved finding Prof. Fan Hsi-Ying, an "authority on madness"...

A more appropriate title for "Cigars of the Pharaoh" could be: "The Sign of Kih-Oskh" or "The Pharaoh's Sign" ("Sign" could also be replaced by "Circle")...

"Tintin in the Congo" should remain as is; too many people would have gotten the wrong message otherwise...
Charles
#9 · Posted: 24 Jul 2005 01:35
Thanks, Varun0883, for your suggestions. In my own fallable, quirky, and even bizarre opinion, however, the most "magical" and intriguing titles are those that don't feature Tintin's name. Odd, I know, but there it is.

Tintin & the Land of the Soviets -- Bolshevik
Investigation
Tintin in the Congo -- Secrets of the Jungle
Tintin in America -- Crime Eclipse
Tintin in Tibet -- For the Sake of a Friend
Tintin & the Picaros -- Revolutionary Afternoon
Richard
UK Correspondent
#10 · Posted: 24 Jul 2005 01:54
Let's not forget Hergé's working title for Tintin in Tibet - The Yak's Snout (Le museau du yak). And a possibility for Flight 714 was Tintin and the Irritable Millionaire. There was also one for The Castafiore Emerald - 'The Nightingale and ...' something, I can't remember it offhand. I actually preferred it to the present title, though. Perhaps Hergé considered some of your suggested titles, varun !

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

This topic is closed.