Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin plot summaries - are they legal?

snafu
#1 · Posted: 20 Jul 2005 17:28
I have noticed that Wikipedia.org has several plot summaries to Tintin. Are these articles legal? What should Tintinologists know before they look or attempt to write these articles (input from readers influences a lot of what is presented)?
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 21 Jul 2005 00:34
I know Wikipedia, but do you mean it has plot summaries of the adventures of Tintin? If so, I don't see a problem with that, since online shops have summaries and its not like Wikipedia has the comics online or anything. I don't get what you're trying to say. I presume plot summaries are legal.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 21 Jul 2005 09:32
A plot-summary is perfectly legal, as there is both a long tradition and acceptance within the law, of reviewing for commercial publication and academic study.

You would obviously have to take care to frame your article in such a way that it couldn’t be mistaken for an original work, and you would have to summarise, rather than telling the story verbatim, but you should be okay.
snafu
#4 · Posted: 21 Jul 2005 15:40 · Edited by: Moderator
Thanks! That is because I had, without thinking, helped to fill a stub for "The Crab with the Golden Claws" and was excited to have it reviewed by other Tintinologists, but then realized I might have done something contrary to either this site's or Moulinsart's policies (if it was, I would have deleted my part). Now that I'm sure that it's OK, here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crab_with_the_Golden_Claws

My revisions are mainly in the second paragraph after the first comma there.

Any suggestions to what I put up there (First commentator should start a new thread in "Tintin Books")? Thanks!
Tintinrulz
#5 · Posted: 21 Jul 2005 15:46 · Edited by: Moderator
1 too many "Upon"s but other than that, it looks pretty good to me.

This topic is closed.