Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin book series associated with witchcraft?

ClaroQuerido
#1 · Posted: 2 Aug 2005 01:16
I remember listening to the radio in bed one night, and falling asleep forgetting to switch it off, then waking briefly and hearing on the radio someone saying something about Tintin being associated with witchcraft (it was a phone-in show, this was someone phoning in). I would have loved to have heard the rest of the conversation but I fell asleep again. Actually I was only half-awake, which has led me to think that maybe I imagined or misheard it. But I'm really fascinated as to what he was going on about, if I heard right.

Has anyone here heard of Tintin being associated with witchcraft?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 2 Aug 2005 11:04
Not that I can think of - don’t believe everything on those ’phone-ins!! ;-)
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 2 Aug 2005 11:27
I don't think so. Herge was a Catholic and I don't think he messed with witchcraft. It would be a dangerous thing to do anyway - messing with spirits is not cool.
snafu
#4 · Posted: 3 Aug 2005 14:39
There were references to magic in "The Seven Crystal Balls" and in "Prisoners of the Sun" with the scenes of the tortured dolls (based on Voodoo rites) representing the seven explorers. But Tintin wasn't using it and to some extent was even fighting the magic.

Tintin had dealt with mystical fakirs in "Cigars of the Pharaoh" and in "The Blue Lotus", but that does not count as witchcraft. Neither are certain parts of the show in "The Seven Crystal Balls" (Yamilah, the magician) classified as such.

The Flying Father in "Tintin in Tibet" was in a mystical trance but not in witchcraft.

Conclusion: Tintin had definitely dealt with mysticism and dark magic, but has never sided with witchcraft.
ClaroQuerido
#5 · Posted: 3 Aug 2005 19:41
Thanks for the replies. I think, snafu, that you perhaps misunderstood me. I am familiar with all the Tintin books apart from Soviets and Alph-Art. I wasn't asking if he had in his adventures ever been involved with witchcraft. I meant, had anyone heard of the series itself being linked with witchcraft (rightly or wrongly). Apologies for the confusion.
snafu
#6 · Posted: 3 Aug 2005 21:01
As for the series, then, there are certainly references to witchcraft in "The Seven Crystal Balls" and in "Prisoners of the Sun". There may have also been witch-doctors in "The Broken Ear" amongst the two tribes along the River Coliflor. Mere references to witchcraft, however, do not suggest links to it. So I'd still say "no" as to whether or not the series is linked to witchcraft.
tybaltstone
#7 · Posted: 5 Aug 2005 11:27
From the very few late-night phone-in shows I've heard, I'd bet that the caller was more referring to Tintin leading to evil, devil worship and witchcraft! There do exist a few extremists, often of a particular religious persuasion, who see anything to do with comics, games, fantasy et al. as a sure road to the devil and all his interests.

I have had very minor publicity in the local paper for some of my own comic strip work, and have been practically accused of devil-worship, for my sins. It's happened recently with Harry Potter, though there the link is a bit more obvious. Tintin is a far less obvious target as he's a pretty moral character most of the time, but if comics are being targeted, then it's often the most popular ones that will provide the bullseye. The Eagle was originally started as a more Christian-thinking counter to the influx of American comics (interestingly, with a very similar origin to the reasons for Le Petit Vingtieme), but comics themselves have always been in the sights of stricter 'guardians'.
jock123
#8 · Posted: 5 Aug 2005 12:08
tybaltstone
The Eagle was originally started as a more Christian-thinking counter to the influx of American comics

Ah yes - slightly off-topic, but I have seen the early concept/ dummy drawings featuring Rex Christian (or was it Lex?), a lantern-jawed, dynamic young vicar in London’s East End, with a pair of oddly shaped eye-brows, who was originally to be the cover story; he metamorphosed (improbably) into the slightly better known Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!