Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Errors: Driving on the wrong side of the road?

quikening
#1 · Posted: 7 Aug 2005 04:44
Hi All,

I've just noticed, that in some Tintin books, Hergé has drawn such that driving is on the wrong side of the road.
For example, Tintin in America page 4, illustrates driving on the left side of the road, rather than the right side of the road!!!

If I'm not wrong, by the 1930s, both Belgium and the Americas had changed to the right side of the road.

Appreciate if someone could comment
snafu
#2 · Posted: 7 Aug 2005 14:22
Actually, I don't even recall there being lanes drawn on the road in "Tintin in America"! I only remember seeing lanes being drawn clearly in "The Black Island"... so it's really hard to tell which side of the road they're really on, or if the drivers have enough space to take the whole width of the road...
quikening
#3 · Posted: 12 Aug 2005 10:39
You don't need lanes. Just look at the side of the car that the driver is driving on...
Generally, European and American cars are driven on the left side of the vehicle.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 12 Aug 2005 13:09
quikening
You don't need lanes. Just look at the side of the car that the driver is driving on...
If you are going to treat it as an error, you have to be able to show it from the drawings - where is the car placed on the road in the picture?

The question of which side you sit on and which side you drive on is not sufficient, as one does not exclude the other - so you see continental and American cars on the roads of Britain, for example, driving quite normally amongst British cars with the driver on the opposite side of the car, yet sharing the left-hand lane; and vehicles such as road sweepers often have the driver in the seat next to the kerb when driving (to watch for rubbish, leaves etc. blocking the gutter), no matter what side the rest of the drivers on the road are sitting.

You may find this thread useful, although it covers Calculus Affair...
snafu
#5 · Posted: 12 Aug 2005 14:52
In Europe, only the British and the Irish drive on the left. Everyone on the Continent goes on the right. Outside of Europe, I'm aware that drivers in Ghana, Thailand, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan also drive on the left.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 12 Aug 2005 16:27
In the thread I linked to, Harrock n Roll found the following and posted it:
Until the mid-60s, all Lancias, even in left-hand-drive Italy, were manufactured as right-hand-drive.

This topic is closed.