Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Languages spoken in Tintin

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

yamilah
#11 · Posted: 28 Sep 2005 22:28
Abdullah

Thanks Abdullah for your very detailed response.
By the way, does TCHANG mean anything in Hindi?

And what about TINTIN, TIM or TINTIM?
And the plain syllable TIN?

(Please maybe better answer this question on 'Does the word TINTIN mean anything in your language?' thread)

Thanks in advance.
sandeepgupte
#12 · Posted: 29 Sep 2005 11:01
Hi Abdullah,

Thanks for correcting me. Actually it has been a long time since I read Tintin In Tibet (or any other Tintin book for that matter).

Regards,
Sandeep Gupte.
Abdullah
#13 · Posted: 29 Sep 2005 12:54
Cool Sandeep. There's a lot i dont remember too.

And Yamilah, Tchang means nothing in Hindi. NOr TinTin or Tim or Tintim...or Tin too...

But if its of any help, TimTim in Hindi means 'twinkling' (as in twinkle twinkle little star).
yamilah
#14 · Posted: 29 Sep 2005 13:30
Thanks folks for your rapid responses!
aliamerjee
#15 · Posted: 28 Nov 2005 12:58
(PS : The Hindi of the porter is bang on. In terms of the lettering (Devanagari) and the way it's phrased)

I would like to agree with Abdullah since I too know Hindi.
But the Arabic used in many of the adventures, e.g. The Land of Black Gold or Cigars of the Pharaoh doesn't make any sense, in fact, it isn't Arabic at all, it's just something which looks like it.
I wonder if the Chinese is all correct?
Also, although Hergé got the Arabic wrong, how could his Hindi have been so accurate?

Moderator Note: See also How many languages could Tintin speak?
tintinforever
#16 · Posted: 17 Feb 2017 07:48
We are all aware the Arumbayas speak a Cockney rhyming slang in "Broken Ear" and "Picaros" ( which I believe was Belgian street lingo in the originals ) but does the language spoken the Sondenesians in "Flight 714" mean anything? And what of the language of the Syldavians in "King Ottokar's Sceptre" mean anything? Or are these dialogues written in puns as the Arumbayas dialogue is?

(Apologies if these questions have already been addressed in earlier threads)

Moderator Note: A forum search is your friend here:
Flight 714: Language of the Sondonesians
King Ottokar's Sceptre: English/ Syldavian translation?

Any specific questions about those languages would be best posted to those threads!

The Tidy Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!