Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Tintin and I - airing in the US in July 2006

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

marsbar
#1 · Posted: 11 May 2006 15:02
Good news from honorary member, P. Mahler:
Anders Østergaard's film will be running on U.S. television in July.
Broadcast date: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 at 10PM (90 minutes) - please check local listings.
URL: http://www.pbs.org/pov/tintinandi/
number1fan
#2 · Posted: 11 May 2006 15:13
I have this allready i coped it at my local HMV must say i havent watched it yet the reason for it being 90 mins long in the U.S is time for adverts so dont worry no one has been cheated out of something extra.
I bought mine at Hmv quite pricey though £17.99 i payed less for the new tintin boxset of feature films
SingingGandalf
#3 · Posted: 11 May 2006 15:48 · Edited by: SingingGandalf
I bought mine at Hmv quite pricey though £17.99

Wow, pricy. You can get them on eBay for around £7!

Also, this post refers to 'Tintin and I'. It's correct title is 'Tintin et moi', even in English. 'Et moi' sounds better than 'and I'.
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 11 May 2006 21:17
I'm not sure if PBS in America has adverts, I don't recall it doing so when I lived there. if it does it doesn't have as many as normal US TV

Rik
Tintinrulz
#5 · Posted: 12 May 2006 02:43
Darn. I live in Australia. The version shown on tv here was 52 minutes long. Anyone know what was cut out?
SingingGandalf
#6 · Posted: 12 May 2006 07:37 · Edited by: SingingGandalf
At least it was shown on TV. Here in the U.K., it hasn't been on television, and I doubt it will be, unless it's on a digital channel like BBC 4.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 12 May 2006 10:11
SingingGandalf
Also, this post refers to 'Tintin and I'. It's correct title is 'Tintin et moi', even in English. 'Et moi' sounds better than 'and I'.

I think there are possibly more gracious ways to suggest that a fellow poster has made a mistake…

You might also bear in mind that the Internet Movie Database entry for the documentary lists the following as a variant title: Tintin and I (UK). So perhaps that is also used as a name in America too. It certainly wouldn’t be wrong to translate a title if the intention was to increase its appeal to a wider audience.

At least it was shown on TV. Here in the U.K., it hasn't been on television, and I doubt it will be, unless it's on a digital channel like BBC 4.

Well it’s not even quite two years since it got shown in cinemas, and it has had two DVD releases; it’s not uncommon for there to be a gap before the television premiere of a film.

BBC4 would seem like a natural home for it too - it has a good history of showing documentaries - as does C4; it wouldn’t be likely that any feature documentary would be on in prime-time on BBC1 or ITV1, so why not?
SingingGandalf
#8 · Posted: 12 May 2006 16:14 · Edited by: SingingGandalf
SingingGandalf

jock123

I think there are possibly more gracious ways to suggest that a fellow poster has made a mistake…

Sorry, I didn't wish to be rude. My full apologies. I was in a hurry as it was nearly time for school. I just can't stay away from this site, I go on in the morning, when I get home and maybe twice in the evening! My sincere apologiess, I am a bit of a perfectionist! Interesting that the title has been translated. I wondered before why they had not translated it for the English DVD, but I later realised that, in my opinion anyway, that 'Tintin et moi' was a far more effective title.

Well it’s not even quite two years since it got shown in cinemas, and it has had two DVD releases; it’s not uncommon for there to be a gap before the television premiere of a film.

Generally, documentary films take 2 years to reach 'free' television, while other films take 3-5 years. Documentary films like that one by Michael Moor and 'Super sized me', came on Channel 4, 2 years after cinema release. So maybe it won't be too long, but I say that is for the 5 free channel's (BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV 1, Channel 4, and five, for those from differant nations), as I don't have sky, or freeview or anything like that.
jock123
#9 · Posted: 10 Jul 2006 10:04
Here is a press release which has been sent to the moderators:

Dear Tintinologist Team:

I am writing from P.O.V., public television's award-winning series of independent nonfiction films

On Tuesday, July 11th, we are excited to present the national broadcast premiere of "Tintin and I," a documentary by Anders Ostergaard that highlights the potent social and political underpinnings that give Tintin's world such depth, and delves into the mind of Herge, Tintin's work-obsessed Belgian creator, to reveal the creation and development of Tintin, will have its national broadcast premiere on Tuesday, July 11th. Now in our 19th season on PBS, P.O.V. is American television's longest-running independent documentary series.

We have produced a companion website that will feature:
- A round-table discussion with comic artists Daniel Clowes, Chris Ware, Jessica Abel, Phoebe Gloeckner, Jason Lutes, and Seth.
- A look at Tintin in America.
- Thoughts from filmmaker Anders Ostergaard
- Resources and links to other websites about cartooning and Tintin.

"Tintin and I" premieres Tuesday, July 11th at 10 PM (check local listings) on most PBS stations.

Best regards,
Larissa Tempel, Community Engagement Intern
budrew2
#10 · Posted: 12 Jul 2006 18:26
In fact, it aired last night in my town. This was the first time i even heard of tintin et moi, but, i must say i loved it. very, very well down. they way that they made herge's original prints 3D. i thought that was just to die for.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!