Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Tintin in Tibet at the Young Vic on DVD?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 11 May 2006 15:20
Does anybody no if this will be released on to DVD as I'm quite keen to see it as i never got a chance to go to the young Vic when it was on back on in December.
SingingGandalf
#2 · Posted: 11 May 2006 15:46
I doubt it, very few plays are made into DVDs (and they are usually Shakespeare). If they were intending to make a DVD, it would probably have already been released. That relies on, of course, that they filmed it when it was on. That's a shame though.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 11 May 2006 17:33
The show was recorded at several performances towards the end of the run, but this was solely for the use of the company themselves as a record of the staging etc., and there were no plans to release this footage.
SingingGandalf
#4 · Posted: 11 May 2006 19:24
The show was recorded at several performances towards the end of the run

Well at least that shows that there is hope. I saw the show, but had fairly bad seats and of course, I would love a DVD. Maybe if enough people requested it. If everyone would email the barbican and asked them to make DVDs. Please everyone, send an email. If enough of us request a DVD - it may actually come to fruition.
jockosjungle
#5 · Posted: 11 May 2006 21:15
I doubt it would be worthwile as I cannot see it selling many copies, normally only massive productions which are known worldwide ever get a release

Rik
SingingGandalf
#6 · Posted: 11 May 2006 21:28
I have seen a copy of 'A midsummer night's dream' that was a play, and then made into the 'film' version for DVD. It was not a direct recording of the play, but had the camera's either on stage, or in front of it where they could zoom in. I don't know why that was made into the DVD, as, in my opinion anyway, a poor adaptation (though Bottom and the mechanicals were rather good) also considering that there are many films of that play. So maybe there is room for a DVD?
jock123
#7 · Posted: 12 May 2006 10:19
SingingGandalf
Maybe if enough people requested it. If everyone would email the barbican and asked them to make DVDs. Please everyone, send an email. If enough of us request a DVD - it may actually come to fruition.

I don’t think that is a good idea at all - to start bombarding any company with e-mail will really only irritate people who are probably already very busy. There is no need to pester them, they would have the sense to know if there were a commercially viable market for such a thing, they would do it anyway.

If anyone feels that they must canvas for a release, then the best bet is to write to the company.

It is probably a matter of rights as much as anything; if it wasn’t in the contract at the start, my guess is it would be a nightmare to organize now.
SingingGandalf
#8 · Posted: 12 May 2006 16:25
will really only irritate people who are probably already very busy

Yes, I have to admit that the people who read the emails will be the tired out staff, not the people with the power. I believe you are right, jock. I myself had not actually sent an email yet, so I admit that I was being a bit of a hypocrit. Overall, I say the likelihood of a release is very slim, and that on other forums for other things there are probably people wanting DVDs of other plays, but that doesn't mean they get them, so why would we. I do a lot of acting, and I doubt that in any of the productions I've been in there would be any financial viability in a DVD. I guess it was just a case of you had to be there to see it, otherwise, unfortunately 'tough luck'. I should be thankfull that I was one of the lucky ones who did see it.
labrador road 26
#9 · Posted: 13 May 2006 00:07
But making a dvd today is rather inexpensive and even those that are not planned to sell many copies are made. It will just take the producer to understand that they will not get a blockbuster with YoungVics Tintin in Tibet but they will surely get some financial profit if the keep the dvd-production in the cheaper range. I recently bought Nosferatu, the old vampire movie and it didn't even have a menu, the film started right away and it couldn't have cost much to make that disc. As jock123 says they already have the footage so it would be stupid not to use it and release it to the public.

Were the stageplay sold out? Then the dvd probably will have enough interested buyers to make it worthwhile. If they make it a region 0 disc it could be sold to all countries that have strong fanbase for Tintin.
SingingGandalf
#10 · Posted: 13 May 2006 17:43
Were the stageplay sold out?

Yes, pretty much. There was only the odd lone seat here and there in the back stalls left. I got one of the last tickets.

If they make it a region 0 disc it could be sold to all countries that have strong fanbase for Tintin.

That would be cheaper too, I suppose, as it must cost money to region encript a disk. But then that is only a guess.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!