Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: Casting discussion

Page  Page 3 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15  16  Next » 

skut
#21 · Posted: 19 Apr 2004 02:06
I remember Fry playing the Duke Of Wellington on a Black Adder episode, cursing and shouting at Baldrick in a rather Haddock-esque way. That's what made me think he'd be great as Haddock.
Tintinrulz
#22 · Posted: 19 Apr 2004 03:24
I thought I remembered Stephen Fry face and name from somewhere. Got to love Blackadder!
The Thompsons definetly have a likeness to Hercule Poirot from Agatha Christie's mysteries.
I can't think of anyone to play Jolyon Wagg, but it would have to be someone who is very annoying, intrusive and laid back....

By the way isn't the first movie going to be Red Rackham's Treasure (and presumably The Secret of the Unicorn?). Then they would only need the main cast members for Tintin, Captain Haddock, Snowy, The Thomsons and Professor Calculus.
Jyrki21
#23 · Posted: 8 Jun 2004 03:11
I'm going to reopen this discussion since I'm new here. Here are my suggestions:

Tintin - Tobey Maguire (who else is young enough and a good actor?)

Haddock - Could Robbie Coltrane work? Or is he just too big?

Thom(p)sons - John Cleese! As both! (Computers can help). He'd need a lot of makeup to get younger, but it'd be worth every moment

Colonel Sponsz - Ewan McGregor (can he do a Bordurian accent? :))

Müller - one of Jean Réno (most of us English speakers can't distinguish between foreign accents anyway, heh heh), Harvey Keitel or Tchéky Karyo

Jolyon Wagg - Jon Lovitz... I hate him, but he'd thrive as Wagg. If not him, maybe Gilbert Godfried.

Allan - Kevin Kline

Rastapopoulos - I like the Robert De Niro idea; also maybe Gene Hackman?

General Alcazar - who'd be a good Latino fit?

Professor Calculus - I dunno... who's little?
jock123
#24 · Posted: 8 Jun 2004 19:42
Jyrki21,
Sadly, in spite of his looks, Tobey McGuire is in fact now almost 29, so I think he's already too old, and would be certainly getting on by the time a new movie and any possible sequels got under way.

I’m sure there are plenty of young actors with talent out there, it's just a question of searching; I'd quite like Tintin to be an unknown, or at least someone without a major rôle yet.

However, Robbie Coltrane as Captain Haddock is truly inspired, and given that I saw him in two movies last weekend (Van Helsing doesn't really count, as he does a voice, but hey!), I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of it! His size might be a little issue, but his comic ability and voice would be fantastic!! I'd been thinking along the lines of Gerard Depardieu, but I think you might have swayed me. Walter Matthau would have been my all time favourite, but sadly it is not to be...

I'd like to see John Goodman as Allan, and if Captain Haddock was a larger gentleman, they might make a good head-to-head pair.

Jolyon Wagg would be a good part for Eric Idle - he plays oily very well. If not him, then Edward Hibbert, who is Gil on Frasier.

Again my choice for Alcazar would have been Raul Julia, but given his un-availability, then Jean Reno wouldn't be bad or (given his reasonable facsimile of Julia in the Addams TV movie), Tim Curry.

Sylvester McCoy might make a Calculus.

And Patricia Routledge from Keeping Up Appearances for Bianca Castafiore! She really can sing too, but that might actually count against her!
Jyrki21
#25 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 15:08
Walter Matthau would have been my all time favourite, but sadly it is not to be...
Matthau would definitely have been a good pick too, although that'd make Haddock American, which might be a bit of an anomaly. Mind you, a Scottish Haddock with Coltrane wouldn't be so true to the original either (although I assume Coltrane could do an English accent, couldn't he?)
jock123
#26 · Posted: 9 Jun 2004 15:38
The nobility of Europe often used French as their language of choice (the Russian royalty were still using it when they fell), and the Tintin at Sea exhibition gives examples of figures contemporary to Sir Francis who would French-ify their names when writing in French.

It also posits that Hadoque was a Scottish Jacobite, who would have allegience to the Scottish monarchy, and therefore to France through the Auld Alliance - bringing Mr Coltrane back into the frame. And I'm sure he could do an English accent if called on!

In a recent review, someone said that they thought Haddock was given a Scottish accent in the old cartoons. I don't really know if Haddock is English in the original, or just British ("Anglais" covers both, in that grey way "English" is used by many English people to mean "British").
"Archibald", although Germanic in origin, is a common name in Scotland.

So Coltrane still seems a good choice to me. I think he'd make a great Philip Mortimer in a Blake & Mortimer movie...
advnarayan
#27 · Posted: 10 Jun 2004 16:28
hi,
I dont mind tom hanks or jude law- but a cameo should be offerred to JEAN PIERRE TALBOT the original Tintin of BLUE ORANGES and GOLDEN FLEECE fame,
he is very much interested in Tintin, at least going by the info in the net,
narayan
Richard
UK Correspondent
#28 · Posted: 14 Jun 2004 22:10
This will probably only make sense to any British people, but Kim from "How Clean Is Your House ?" would make, without a shadow of a doubt, the perfect Castafiore.
Tintinrulz
#29 · Posted: 15 Jun 2004 07:01
Castafiore = Hysen (from Keeping up Apperances)
jockosjungle
#30 · Posted: 15 Jun 2004 11:21
Yeh Patricia Routledge would make quite a good Castiafiore, but depending on what adventure they put on screen, she wouldn't be needed.

Is there any reason to believe this film is going to get made? He's had the rights for 20 years after all.

I still think Rupert Grint would make a good job of being Tintin, but I imagine since it's Spielberg he'll Americanise the whole thing (like he wanted to do to Harry Potter) and give the part to that kid from the Sixth Sense

Rik

Page  Page 3 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15  16  Next » 

This topic is closed.