Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] Unicorn Movie: News and general discussion

Page  Page 64 of 67:  « Previous  1  ...  63  64  65  66  67  Next » 

Bordurian Thug
#631 · Posted: 15 Oct 2011 11:50
jock123:
Interesting, because whilst I see that there's a truth to the way in which Hergé created the world his stories, I (personally) see them as largely fanciful, mostly escapist, and in their own way as sensational as Edgar Rice Burroughs or Rider-Haggard. Inca cults! Telepathic fakirs! Ancient astronauts! Giant human snowballs! Amazing hirsute bubble-blowing detectives! All the fun of the fair! ;-)

What politics he has in them is mostly for plot, and not in any real sense insightful; he uses magic and pseudoscience as much, if not more than hard science, etc. The beauty of what he does is that he draws and writes with an authority which makes the story work, and which imbues truth to what he is telling you, but he makes an atomic rocket which is ultimately no more real to me than a levitating monk, or a divining pendulum.

I'm no admirer of the fascism of Dawkinsian rationality because after all most of our universe is composed of dark matter but Herge's sensationalism is always balanced by the 'real' world in which his characters function. Therefore the Yeti may or may not exist but what it symbolises in the album is man's relationship with the external world; similarly the balance in Prisoners of the Sun between the imaginative world of the Incas and the rational expedience of the eclipse.

The genius of the Tintin adventures for me (more so as I have grown older) is that they offer a genuine history of the twentieth century in the most beautifully constructed comic book world. If one takes that out then one is left with Jo, Zette, and Jocko. That's why the removal of the rational (for all his buffoonery) Calculus is so troubling, particularly when I see a trailer that seems to aggrandise the spectacular (the holy grail?) at the expense of the relatively humdrum (a treasure chest).

I'll wager they won't be making The Castafoire Emerald any time soon.
Tintinrulz
#632 · Posted: 15 Oct 2011 15:55
As jock already mentioned, this movie will not include much of Red Rackham's Treasure at all. That will be left for the following movie.
Ladybird
#633 · Posted: 16 Oct 2011 17:15
jock123
You're right it makes total sense to cut characters or compound them. It just seemed to me like it would make more sense to take a canonical villain and simply give him an extended role. However it might turn out that they had a wonderful reason for doing it.
I'm not opposed to a little messing around (after all they can't film the series just as it is) but I often wonder what the point of some changes are.

Richard:
According to the soundtrack listing (available here, amongst other places) the Milanese Nightingale will make an appearance in the film.

Thanks Richard! You're obviously a better detective than I am.
luinivierge2010
#634 · Posted: 17 Oct 2011 10:52 · Edited by: Moderator
Several more clues are revealed in this book, The Art of The Adventures of Tintin, now available.
BlackIsland
#635 · Posted: 17 Oct 2011 15:01
Well I guess I will reserve my judgement but I still think way to many liberties have been taken. There is no discipline in any part of entertainment anymore.
BlackIsland
#636 · Posted: 18 Oct 2011 13:00
mct16
#637 · Posted: 18 Oct 2011 16:26
BlackIsland:
New trailer:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168668-watch-the-new-traile r-for-the-adventures-of-tintin

"400 years ago, a power that could have changed the course of history was lost"... "The ship was carrying a secret cargo."

If that was Sauron's One Ring, taken to Sir Francis Hadoque by The Doctor (referred to as an encounter of the 45th kind), I will find Spielberg, Jackson and Moffat and put some crystal balls to very nasty use!
jock123
#638 · Posted: 18 Oct 2011 16:59
mct16:
"400 years ago, a power that could have changed the course of history was lost"... "The ship was carrying a secret cargo."

I’ve just had a thought about that, but I’ll take it to the spoiler zone… ;-)
Henry 54321
#639 · Posted: 18 Oct 2011 19:18 · Edited by: Moderator
Bianca Castafiore is in the film; she has the voice of Kim Stengel?

And she is a hostage of Omar ben Salaad, I think.

Moderator Note: Hi, Henry! We’ve asked before, but will remind you again, that to make your posts easy to read, you should write using upper- and lower-case letters; there’s no need to put a capital letter on every word. We’ve changed your message to how it should be.

You also need to be careful when posting - especially about the film before it is released - that you don’t give away plot-points: there will be many members and visitors who want to be surprised by the movie when they see it, and they don’t want to know who is in the film, and what part they play. There is a plot speculation thread where you can talk about things which go on in the film and where people who don’t want to know, know not to look.

The Tintinologist Team
Bordurian Thug
#640 · Posted: 18 Oct 2011 22:06 · Edited by: Bordurian Thug
I've just watched the iTunes trailer. Haddock is Scottish.

*edit after searching forums* Oh, old news apparently. I suppose I always equated him with being Scottish due to him being a bibulous sailor and having the Christian name Archibald (like the former Tottenham and Scotland international Steve Archibald's surname).

Page  Page 64 of 67:  « Previous  1  ...  63  64  65  66  67  Next » 

This topic is closed.