Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Hergé: Lover of art?

Triskeliae
#1 · Posted: 28 May 2008 19:09
Not only was Hergé an artist in his own right, he loved art in general.
The presence of it is all over his books, in one way or another.

From the hieroglyphs of Kih-Oskh's tomb to the galleries of L'Alph-Art, Hergé showed his personal admiration of diverse art mediums and movements.
Even the dreams of Tintin (Cigars of The Pharaoh; Prisoners of The Sun) and Captain Haddock (Tintin in Tibet) are excellent examples of Surrealism.

What do you think?
cigars of the beeper
#2 · Posted: 28 May 2008 23:03
I don't know if parts of Tintin comics can really be considered "art" while others cannot. I think that the whole concept of Tintin, and his other comics, were art to Herge. I defenitely think that comics are art, although they are not accepted in society as such yet.
Triskeliae
#3 · Posted: 28 May 2008 23:53
What I mean is that Hergé used art concepts and ideas in his stories. Another example: Marlinspike Hall, when the Bird brothers owned it, was full of art pieces. Hergé was an art enthusiast.

The question is, have you seen other examples in the books?

As for the books themselves: to me, Hergé's work is art. But that's another topic.
mondrian
#4 · Posted: 29 May 2008 07:01
Benoît Peeters and Michael Farr have documented this better, but from the top of my head:

Congo, Broken Ear: primitive sculptures.

Blue Lotus: Influences from oriental art visible throughout the book.

Red Sea Sharks: Painting by Sisley in Moulinsart, few modern paintings in the hotel, and Rastapopoulos has a Picasso and a Miró on his ship.

Flight 714: Carreidas participates in an auction for works by Picasso & Braque

Picaros: Several examples in Tapiocapolis, paintings, statues and furniture design.

Apart from those examples, architecture and design are well presented in many of the books. Not a surprise really, somebody who makes drawing his profession usually has an interest in visual arts. And as Tintin became more popular and Hergé had more time to plan his works, the more visible that interest became.
cigars of the beeper
#5 · Posted: 30 May 2008 01:03
mondrian wrote:
vol 714: Carreidas participates in an auction for works by Picasso & Braque

And Renoir, of course!
IvanIvanovitch
#6 · Posted: 12 Jun 2008 05:27
Well, Alph-Art makes plain Hergé's affinity for art. He seemed to like Impressionism particularly. I wonder why?

Moderator Note: He may have liked Impressionists, but his passion was for modernism, pop-art and abstract art, which he pusued in his own painting, and in the works he bought.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!