Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Aliens vs Monsters: Is this how the new movie will look?

jock123
#1 · Posted: 4 Apr 2009 12:44
As has been commented on here, the forthcoming film(s) will have a "photorealistic" level of detail, including pores on the skin, etc., and be shot in 3D, which has left people wondering what this will do to the faithfulness to the original look.

Having seen Monsters vs Aliens (made by Spielberg's Dreamworks) in 3D last night, I think that that could give some indication of what sort of "look" might be achieved. The characters in that have been given an overall cartoony look, but are rendered with textured skin, complete with freckles, colour variations, translucent finger nails and indeed pores, plus detailed hair, and the result isn't as off-putting as I might have at first thought.

On the 3D side, that was generally impressive: when it worked well, it was great - there are some fantastic space shots at the opening, a great free-floating character in a jet-pack (who hovers in the auditorium), and duck when the alien makes tea!

However, there was a tendency for the effect to be lost or spoiled by characters or things being placed near to the camera but also partially hidden by an edge of the screen, which messes up the ability to make them look solid and convincing (I don't think my brain could resolve the geometry of what half a head hanging in space should look like, so it didn't).

Still, all in all a pretty good introduction to Dreamwork's technique, and I am sure that there will be improvements all the time (plus A vs M was a pretty enjoyable film!
dreamdust
#2 · Posted: 6 Apr 2009 09:44
That's very good to know! I'm seeing the film myself tomorrow - hopefully I can get a vague idea of what the graphics in the Tintin film might be like as well. But I'm sure that they'll be even better. OR ELSE!! lol.
cigars of the beeper
#3 · Posted: 8 Apr 2009 00:11
jock123:
(made by Spielberg's Dreamworks)

Dreamworks belongs to Spielberg?
jock123
#4 · Posted: 8 Apr 2009 10:00
cigars of the beeper:
Dreamworks belongs to Spielberg?

Don't know if "belongs" is exactly the word. He was certainly a founder; the Dreamworks group of companies has since broken up, but Dreamworks Animation SKG, the company which made A vs M is still in the hands of Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberger and David Geffen (hence the SKG bit of the name).
The live-action studio was sold to Viacom I think, so what he has to do with that I don't know...

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!