Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: Tune whistled in "The Broken Ear"? [Resolved]

tintinagalog
#1 · Posted: 19 Apr 2009 07:09
I watched The Broken Ear several times, and liked the museum custodian's introductory music while he was cleaning indoors.
Hence, I've been whistling the tune, too, anytime I walk in the dark searching for some urgent things in either office or home, just to relieve me from frightening and tension.
What troubles me now is the title of that song he whistled. I doubt Toreador. I don't think that's the title of the song.

Anyone who can name that tune?
Thanks a lot.
dreamdust
#2 · Posted: 19 Apr 2009 10:05
Hmm...I haven't seen "The Broken Ear" for awhile, so I could be mistaken, but I think the tune is in the middle of 'Toreador' (or it could be another section of Carmen).

[Link removed]

Moderator Note: Nice as the performance you linked to was, it isn't possible to tell if the clip was official (it appeared to have been taken by an audience member), and therefore to avoid giving offence to the featured performers by pirating their show, the link has been removed.

However, there is a recording of the piece from 1911 here, which is in the public domain. The chorus (as whistled by the man in the museum) begins at about 1'10".

The Happy Whistling Tintinologist Team
tintinagalog
#3 · Posted: 20 Apr 2009 03:14
Oh, I see...

Just heard and watched that video. Thanks for the information. Luv yah
tuhatkauno
#4 · Posted: 20 Apr 2009 14:51
Yes it is from Carmen (my favourite opera), Escamillo, the celebrated matador, is arriving at (?) the smugglers's tavern and then he starts singing his aria. The melody can be heard many times during the opera, the toreador theme is introduced first time in the overture.

tuhaus

This topic is closed.