Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: Series acquired by NBC Universal TV

Derekdespie
#1 · Posted: 26 Apr 2010 19:46
THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN is being acquired by NBC UNIVERSAL TELEVISION, and will broadcast on TV in over 100 countries (including the United States where the show was being broadcast as part of the "CBS Family" block on all CBS-TV stations and on the "CBS Family" channel, and the United Kingdom where the show was being broadcast as part of the "CITV Classics" block on CITV and the "CITV Classics" channel. Here are the 39 half-hour episodes in Tintin canon order (NOT original order).

* Tintin in America
* Cigars of the Pharaoh - 2 episodes
* The Blue Lotus - 2 episodes
* The Broken Ear - 2 episodes
* The Black Island - 2 episodes
* King Ottokar's Sceptre - 2 episodes
* The Crab with the Golden Claws - 2 episodes
* The Shooting Star
* The Secret of the Unicorn - 2 episodes
* Red Rackham's Treasure
* The Seven Crystal Balls - 2 episodes
* Prisoners of the Sun - 2 episodes
* Land of Black Gold - 2 episodes
* Destination Moon - 2 episodes
* Explorers on the Moon - 2 episodes
* The Calculus Affair - 2 episodes
* The Red Sea Sharks - 2 episodes
* Tintin in Tibet - 2 episodes
* The Castafiore Emerald - 2 episodes
* Flight 714 - 2 episodes
* Tintin and the Picaros - 2 episodes

All of these are mostly edited because Tintin's narrations with repeated scenes taken from the first and/or second parts of each as well as the repeated scene featuring Tintin and Snowy traveling around from the introduction in "Tintin in America" are all removed, taking each episode from 26 minutes down to about 20 to 22 minutes in length, but the title cards that showed up each episode are still shown.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 00:02
I’m not quite sure what this is telling us, Derekdespie, to be honest.
The way that you have written this is a little confusing, and there seems to be some information missing.
For example, and assuming that it is the Nelvana series we are talking about here (I added it to the title of the thread when I spun it off as its own topic) are NBC Universal T.V. buying the series outright, have they bought Nelvana, or is it a different deal?
I’m also confused by the implication that, by having done so, they will be showing it in countries around the world: ITV, of which CITV is the digital children’s channel, are not a part of NBC Universal T.V.; they may show it (I don’t think they have before), but it won’t presumably be because of this move of the series, and it won't be being shown by NBC Universal T.V. if they do.
I also am not aware of the CITV Classics - is this a block of the schedule, and what might be a cable channel: does anyone know?
tintinophile691
#3 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 10:19
The Madman (Region 4) DVDs have also been edited.

I had somebody lend me a Tintin DVD that had the edited episodes. The other Tintin DVDs I had watched were unedited.

But I have to point this out. The episodes on my DVD are about 22 minutes in length, yet it still has Tintin's narration at the beginning of Part 2.

However, if it does turn out that the episodes were edited, I can point out some further changes, mostly in the introduction.
- The introduction is altered into a computer-generated "comic strip format".
- When Tintin jumps out of the train at the beginning of the introduction sequence, there is a 'page turning' effect to Tintin and Snowy running, which pans out to reveal "The Adventures of Tintin". Judging by the pixellation here, it is computer generated.
- The footage in the introduction not actually used in the episodes have been removed and replaced with other shots that were actually used.
- The "Tintin running" shot is used twice.
- The quality of the music has been toned down.

If you would like to know more changes, I can list a comparison.

Correction: I can write a comparison.
number1fan
#4 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 18:57
tintinophile691:
yet it still has Tintin's narration at the beginning of Part 2.

Its good they are kept in but you dont need to be reminded of something you have just watched it was done so if you missed an episode the week before you could catch up but would like it if they were included in the region 2 discs.
Derekdespie
#5 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 19:28
NBC Universal's version of the show has a complete single season of over 39 half-hour episodes in Tintin canon order (NOT original order), with the following title sequences being used:

* Opening Sequence - A remake of the original opening sequence with all of the same shots taken from the show, but the logo shown above where Tintin and Snowy travelling around in a yellow circular background has the same color scheme as the beginning.

* Closing Sequence - All of the same credits that are taken from three seasons are being used in that same exact font, but the following credits were either added or replaced: "Produced by NBC Universal" was added on top of "In association with: HBO & Media Participations, Family Channel & M6, and Global Television Network & FR3", either (C) 1991 or (C) 1992 were both replaced with "(C) 1991, 1992" on any of these, and "The Command Post and Transfer Corp." replaces the original name, minus the letters "o, r, a, t, i, o, n" and with a period mark next to it. Following the end credits to every episode of the show are those of the Ellipse Programme logo from 1989 and the Nelvana logo from 1985, the same as they were originally aired.

The television series was being broadcast on TV in over 100 countries (including the U.S. & Canada, all of Europe, Australia & New Zealand, and other parts of the world), and was also being released on 7 individual volumes of DVDs in the U.S. & Canada by NBC UNIVERSAL HOME VIDEO, each with 5 or 6 half-hour episodes each, and with a deluxe edition complete series set with all 7 volumes with a bonus disc titled "The Making of The Adventures of Tintin".
number1fan
#6 · Posted: 28 Apr 2010 15:37
Derekdespie:
Closing Sequence - All of the same credits that are taken from three seasons

They didn't have Seasons on the original run they were shown one after the other I dont know where the seasons come from?.
tintinophile691
#7 · Posted: 5 Jun 2010 00:40
I have confirmed that Universal actually has cut scenes out. I watched two different versions of The Secret of the Unicorn both on DVD.

An example
Cut version: After the opening scene with the pickpocket, it fades straight to Tintin in the market.
Uncut version: After the opening scene with the pickpocket, there is a sequence where the Thompsons say they should be careful with the pickpocket around. The next few shots are repeats of the "I've forgotten my stick" joke in The Crab with the Golden Claws. THEN it fades to Tintin in the market, and I'm sure he buys a book as well as the Unicorn.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!