Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Jo, Zette & Jocko: What about a TV Series?

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 20 Feb 2011 12:31
Has there ever been talk of an animated series based on Jo, Zette and Jocko?
They are pretty much unknown to the world.
mct16
#2 · Posted: 20 Feb 2011 13:22
number1fan:
they are pretty much unknown to the world.

I think that would be the main reason why there has been no TV series. That and the fact that it was so short-lived: there is hardly as much material for a full-length series as "Tintin" or "Blake and Mortimer".
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 20 Feb 2011 14:00
It’s a shame it was quite short lived. I'm really intrigued to read them. I have only read Mr Pump's Legacy.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 21 Feb 2011 10:20
I could see that if the Tintin movie takes off in popularity, it might be possible to do a straight animated feature film of at least Mr. Pump, if someone was in mind to, and is looking to get on the Hergé band-wagon.

The Secret Ray however would need a lot of work to make it acceptable to modern audiences - if Congo is questionable, The Secret Ray is even more so in its depiction of the islanders.

That leaves Valley of the Cobras, which would be a bit short for a film, and the unpublished, but possibly complete, ThermoZéro book. That might actually work, as, even if it is too short in its current state, it would potentially be possible to interpolate original material into it as its condition means its narrative isn’t set in stone.

I would say that if we are to see a franchise of original stories based on characters created by Hergé, TV or otherwise, then J, Z&J seems to have fewer pitfalls than reviving Tintin in new adventures.
mct16
#5 · Posted: 21 Feb 2011 18:31
When Herge made it clear that he did not want any other artists or writers to continue the adventures of Tintin, didn't that apply to his other characters as well?

Additional: The island natives could be taken out of an animated version of "The Secret Ray" since they do not appear after the volcano eruption and play a minimal role in the overall plot. Simple.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 21 Feb 2011 20:18
mct16:
didn't that apply to his other characters as well?

Could do, absolutely: thing is, I don’t know.

Tintin is pretty much cut-and-dried, I agree; however, work was done on Quick & Flupke after Hergé died.

I was therefore speculating that, should there be a need for “wiggle room”, JZ&J might offer the place so to do.

mct16:
The island natives could be taken out of an animated version of "The Secret Ray"

Oh I quite agree it would be possible, but the problem with that would be it slashes quite a substantial portion of story material, time which might have to be filled with song and dance numbers about how much children love their donkeys…
mct16
#7 · Posted: 21 Feb 2011 23:34
jock123:
how much children love their donkeys…

or in this case their monkeys!

Some work was done on Quick & Flupke after Herge's death, but as far as I can make out it was rather limited: some of the old black-and-white stories were colourised and a series of game books also released.
number1fan
#8 · Posted: 22 Feb 2011 07:56
jock123:
time which might have to be filled with song and dance numbers about how much children love their donkeys…

(has hot needle to poke eye with in case that happens.)
I hope not if so I hope it makes a trip to the glue factory.That bit of Lake of the Sharks was probably thee worst thing in the history of Tintin.
Harrock n roll
#9 · Posted: 22 Feb 2011 21:55
There were 'films fixés' (still film slide shows) made in the 1930s of "Le rayon du mystère" and "Le stratonef H.22". I guess J, Z & J were just never popular enough to merit an animated series. It would have been nice though...

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!