Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

"Unicorn" movie: Your reviews, having seen it. [Warning: Spoilers!]

Page  Page 5 of 15:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  Next » 

jock123
#41 · Posted: 4 Dec 2011 22:29
I really liked the movie, and I’ve been a fan for over forty years (and have read all the books a few times too)!

It’s just not possible to define what makes a fan, what brings them to the books, or what elements are important to them, so it isn’t possible to say who the film will appeal to, or why.

Each of us brings our own sensibilities to the books, and each of us makes our own Tintin from what we read.

The film may not be to everyone’s taste, but I think it’s best to accept that Steven Spielberg has given us his vision of the books honestly and respectfully. If he chooses to see them as vivacious and visceral and held together by action and adventure, then so be it – that’s as valid an interpretation as anyone else’s, as far as I can see.
snowy_1001
#42 · Posted: 4 Dec 2011 23:35
well, for all the comments above from Ginger_Tuft,
laloga, and jock123, well, I don't know what to say...except... I guess it does depend on the individual and her/his opinions and viewpoints too..and well, I have to admit, I am a bit biased that way..I am a comic lover..and I really dislike almost every movie made from a comic series..maybe that also has got something to do with it..for example, I grew up reading Phantom too..but have never been able to get myself to watch the movie..it just doesn't feel justified..

I am of the opinion that the beauty of a comic book should remain within a comic book..because when attempts are made to recreate it, it is never the same...just as it happened with Tintin.. The least Spielberg could have done was to have remained true to the characters at least..and not have interchanged their roles..or if he did want to play with the story, he could have made an adventure all his own..I might have liked that more than I did the movie he actually made..but then, that's just my opinion... :)
tintinsgf
#43 · Posted: 5 Dec 2011 14:02
I think I can understand snowy_1001's opinion. Generally, this thing also happens to novel fans (like Harry Potter fans). Just remember each time when the movie was premiered, another thing you might heard besides the movie's review is the fans' complaint on how inaccurate the movie compared to the film. No matter how hard the movie maker team tried, a movie adaptation compared to its source (be it a novel, comic, true story etc.) will never be accurate. So, just accept the flaw anyway (or if you are afraid to disappoint yourself then don't watch the movie at all ;D).

A side note anyway, we are not only the one who 'quarreled' about this Tintin movie, even the most prominent Tintinologist, such as Michael Farr and Nicholas Lezard have different view on this movie. Lezard, as a purist, thought that this movie was somewhat a nuisance, yet Farr, on the other hand, thought that this movie was indeed excellent. This proves that we are not the only one experiencing this differences, even the top Tintinologist also experiencing this. And this also proves the points laloga and Ginger_Tuft has mentioned.

Anyway, if you curious about what the expert Tintinologist said, you can read about them here.

(To Moderator : It is alright for me to link a news post like this, isn't it?)

Moderator reply: Yes, linking to a news website like this is fine, so thanks for sharing that. (Btw, I've fixed your weblink which wasn't quite working before, and I've turned the rather lengthy web-address into a URL link on the word "here" - something you'll find you can do with that right-most button on the tool bar just above the message box.)

Also, there's this forum thread specifically on the Tintin movie's press reviews, which may interest you.
snowy_1001
#44 · Posted: 5 Dec 2011 16:06
tintinsgf
Well, thanks for that post; glad and relieved to know that at least some experts share my point of view! :D

Well, now that you mention Harry Potter, a comparison comes to my mind.
The role given to Mr. Sakharine and the non-inclusion of a character as important as Professor Calculus (or even Rastapopoulos - the all-time famous Tintin villain) is equivalent to, say, making someone like Prof. Sprout the main villain, and not including someone like Hermione or Ron Weasley in the movie. Imagine how that would have been!

BTW, thanks for the review links! :)
tuhatkauno
#45 · Posted: 6 Dec 2011 16:22
Having seen it - twice!

This time I put all my previous opinions (about the film) aside and tried to make a fresh start. I was surprised how easily I succeed to turn my schoolmaster-purist-attitude off. So, the movie was exellent from the beginning to the end. I have nothing to complain about. Well done Spielberg & boys.
snowy_1001
#46 · Posted: 6 Dec 2011 17:05
tuhatkauno
Well, I guess if I make myself forget that I have ever read the Tintin comics, then even I can enjoy the movie.. :D After all, the movie in itself is not bad...the only (major) issue is that it isn't true to the comics..in any which way..
tuhatkauno
#47 · Posted: 6 Dec 2011 18:21
snowy_1001

After the first time I watched the movie (about a month ago) my reaction was: "What have they done to (my) Tintin?"

Today I said to myself: "Let's see what have they really done to this extremely difficult subject." And from this point of view I must admit the outcome was, as I said previously, exellent. Mostly I liked the characters, the outlook of everything, the speed of doings. All this was very Tintin-like. And this time I didn't get irritated about messing the original plot up or adding new things to it. The action scenes were fascinating and this time I also noticed many many tiny details from numerous albums.
Rachenar
#48 · Posted: 9 Dec 2011 21:43
I loved, loved, loved this movie, and I had never been hyped for a movie like this in my entire life. It completely lived up to my expectations, and then some. I won't go into an in-depth review, as I won't add anything that someone hasn't said already, but if I had to nitpick, I would say that the intrigue is weaker than the books; they left out the Loiseau brothers, for example, but I guess that makes sense considering they squeezed 3 books into one. Speaking of three books, fans should be aware that there is a single scene from Red Rackham's Treasure, so expect 95% of the book-related plot to center around The Crab With the Golden Claws and Secret of the Unicorn. Go see it if you haven't, 10/10, masterpiece.
Ginger_Tuft
#49 · Posted: 13 Dec 2011 10:55
I just thought of something.
The movie's motion-capture, right? Meaning it's Andy and Jamie and whatnot doing all the stuff Tintin and Haddock do, only under layers of animation (like Serkis did with Gollum and Zoe Saldana did with Neytiri.)
And so...
Everything that Jamie Bell does, Tintin ends up doing.
And SO...
I think Jamie Bell should make Tintin dance in the next movie! Not only would he be able to show off his smooth moves, but that would also give Tintin another quirk. The only downside is that it may not be accurate to the character.
snowy_1001
#50 · Posted: 13 Dec 2011 11:57
Ginger_Tuft
Well, my best guess from your review is, you are not very happy with the movie.. :)

tuhatkauno
Well, truly speaking, initially, I tried my best to put away my inhibitions and I did like the movie..As it went on, however, and with all the mixtures of scenes and books and stories and characters, I discovered it was too much for poor me to bear :( I doubt I would change my point of view no matter how many times I watch it.. if I can make myself watch it again, that is..

Page  Page 5 of 15:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!