Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

The Adventures of Tintin: Young Vic production at London Barbican, Christmas 2005

Page  Page 5 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

tybaltstone
#41 · Posted: 4 Dec 2005 17:08
And I notice the Sunday Times article on the play mentions the official hair colour for Tintin is... ginger!
rue du labrador
#42 · Posted: 4 Dec 2005 22:53
I am still hesitant about going. Misrepresentation is an unforgivable sin.
jock123
#43 · Posted: 5 Dec 2005 09:36
A nice piece there, Ed.

I am in two minds myself about saying anything at the moment, however, as the piece is still only in preview - during which time changes are made and technical problems are ironed out - and traditionally a review would not come until after the “opening night”.

However, as a help to those who are making their minds up about going - go! It is a most enjoyable evening, and I’m sure Hergé would be proud! I’ve one or two misgivings, to be sure, but nothing that makes me want to be anything other than positive over all. I’d certainly think about going again, and the American grandparents (Tintin afficianados both!) I sat next to thought it would deserve a transfer and longer run…

Oh and Rocky, I too travelled on the tube with Snowy on Saturday night!
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#44 · Posted: 7 Dec 2005 21:14
Thanks for that jock, I'd be interested to see how the show has changed by Press Night on the 14th. I hope to go again later in the run to see for myself.
Here's an article from The Guardian by Mark Lawson.
It doesn't look as if he's seen it, but it gives an interesting insight behind the scenes

Ed
23duff
#45 · Posted: 9 Dec 2005 22:44
rue du labrador, you cannot miss it my friend - otherwise you will really regret it!!!

I've just booked tickets for me and my girlfriend in January and we've got pretty good seats, but it looks like a lot of them have gone.

Hurry, fellow Tintin fans!!!!!
edcharlesadams
#46 · Posted: 15 Dec 2005 09:50
Last night (Dec 14th) was the Press night, so look out for reviews in the UK papers today and tomorrow!

There's a mostly positive one from Charles Spence in the Daily Telegraph, but it's not up on their website yet: when it is I'll post the link.

Ed
jock123
#47 · Posted: 15 Dec 2005 13:03
Here’s a review from The Guardian - not an overwhelming endorsement…
Richard
UK Correspondent
#48 · Posted: 15 Dec 2005 22:16
edcharlesadams
There's a mostly positive one from Charles Spence in the Daily Telegraph

It can be found here. There was also apparently a short feature on BBC breakfast news this morning, although I didn't see it. Hopefully it'll appear on their website, but they've 'streamlined' (read 'reduced') their Entertainment news section so I don't know.
edcharlesadams
#49 · Posted: 16 Dec 2005 00:12
Thanks for that Richard. Here's the formidable Benedict Nightingale in the Times, with another largely positive review.

Ed
stuart
#50 · Posted: 16 Dec 2005 02:01
I was at the press night on Wednesday. It is a superb production - very funny, very cleverly staged, exciting, moving and basically, very entertaining. Haddock and Snowy steal the show. I didn't think the human Snowy would work but he did and his interpretation of Snowy wrestling with his conscience over Haddock's whiskey is priceless. So much of the staging is too clever to explain, to do so would spoil some of the best bits of the show. Go and see it - but avoid the front row (or bring a towel).

I only have a couple of gripes. One is Tintin's mockney bovver-boy accent. I don't know what accent Tintin should have (none of the voices I have heard on tv and radio versions sound right) but I definitely know that it's not this one. The other is the mixed-race Thompsons, one white, the other black. Two black Thompsons would have been fine, but the whole point of them is that they should look identical. I don't think they captured Calculus well either - he is played (quite well) as a stereotypical mad scientist. Herge's Calculus is a bit different, he has an innocence about him which the actor missed completely. These really are minor gripes and will only bother Tintin anoraks like me. They don't spoil the show and there is plenty to compensate, including easter eggs such as a character called Remi, a trumpet playing a couple of bars of the TV series' theme tune, and a superb dance number based on The Blue Lotus. Brilliant stuff.

Page  Page 5 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!