Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: "Tintin in America" - General discussion

Page  Page 4 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Tintinrulz
#31 · Posted: 24 Jun 2005 05:24
I think its the dvd with the Crab with the Golden Claws that is out of sync for me. Disappointing that they didn't pick up on that. Is it possible my copies aren't pirated?
Danagasta
#32 · Posted: 24 Jun 2005 16:55
In the US, the show was broadcast on a pay cable service, HBO. As a result, there were no commercials whatsoever. I wonder if all other versions but our Region 1 had to have black clips added afterward for the commercial services?
That could account for some parts missing, as I bet they were edited for time constraints.

Courtney
number1fan
#33 · Posted: 29 Jun 2005 10:02
the reason why the tintin in america cartoons didnt have the indians in is because of the time of the cartoon they only on 4 about 23 mins and alot happens in that book so it had 2 be cut
Danagasta
#34 · Posted: 29 Jun 2005 19:15
Or because Herge didn't do us justice in his original book. Tintin in America was written before his "enlightened period," as I like to call it, and simply stereotyped Native people. I'm GLAD they omitted that,being half Native myself. I consider it the only large mistake he really made, but that's because it's more personal for me. You'll notice his work improved during and after The Blue Lotus, when he became much more aware of the world around him. If Ellipse-Nelvana was going to put us in there, they would have done it in a culturally appropriate way (depending on nation, of course.)Otherwise, it's best to leave that out if it isn't culturally correct, which the Tintin in America book wasn't.

Courtney
number1fan
#35 · Posted: 30 Jun 2005 12:54
the thing is though at the end of the day its only in a bad light if you see it that way thats how people viewed indiains at the time so dont mock this exxceptional genius herge
Danagasta
#36 · Posted: 30 Jun 2005 15:18
I'm not mocking him, I'm just speaking from a Native perspective---something that I feel is lacking.

Courtney
Richard
UK Correspondent
#37 · Posted: 30 Jun 2005 15:49
Hergé himself acknowledged that he didn't do justice to the Native American people. According to Harry Thompson, "he had wanted to take Tintin back to the USA for a re-run of the Indian sequences of Tintin in America, with oil found on an Indian reservation". This was in the late 1950s, before he settled on the destination of Tibet. It could perhaps have gone some way to 'righting the wrongs' of America.
tybaltstone
#38 · Posted: 30 Jun 2005 15:51
Also remember, number1fan, it was *a* view of 'Indians' at the time, but not necessarily everyone's view. Hergé, as we know, loved the idea of the Native American lifestyle - even it was perhaps based to some degree on a naive European view (I may be wrong). It is certainly interesting to have Danagasta's fairly unique perspective on Tintin in America.

One of my favourite scenes from that book is the speedy building of the city showing how big business can trample over anything in order to make a buck - in this case tribal land, but it relates to lots of things and resonates today - a powerful part of the story. Didn't Hergé do some justice (a little, I know) to the Native's view in that book?

Sorry, maybe this should be a new thread, but I'm answering posts here, so maybe a Moderator will want to move it. :-) Sorry #2: cross posted Richard.
Danagasta
#39 · Posted: 30 Jun 2005 15:56
Also remember, number1fan, it was *a* view of 'Indians' at the time, but not necessarily everyone's view. Hergé, as we know, loved the idea of the Native American lifestyle - even it was perhaps based to some degree on a naive European view (I may be wrong). It is certainly interesting to have Danagasta's fairly unique perspective on Tintin in America.
Thanks! Mine may not be quite as accurate though, seeing as I come from a Southeastern Native Nation and not ones from the Plains. If there's anyone on here who is Lakota or Blackfoot (Siksika), maybe they could delve even deeper.
I'm glad that he recognized the fact that he may have been wrong about some things. A good writer does that,and has to.
Didn't Hergé do some justice (a little, I know) to the Native's view in that book?
In that case, I'd have to say it's where his actual intention is shown. He not only showed the impact of "progress" on our Native nations, but also showed how urban sprawl can ruin things which all people hold dear.

Courtney
number1fan
#40 · Posted: 30 Jun 2005 19:56
i dont think people should fanny about worryying bout rasicsm

Page  Page 4 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!