Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: "Tintin in America" - General discussion

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Harrock n roll
#41 · Posted: 1 Jul 2005 12:21
number1fan i dont think people should fanny about worryying bout rasicsm

You should avoid making flippant remarks such as this number1fan, it could be easily misconstrued. Try to back up your claim (with regard to the topic subject) as constructively as possible.

Moreover I completely disagree. I think that people should be concerned with racism or, more specifically on topic, racial-stereotyping in a children‘s cartoon.
Danagasta
#42 · Posted: 1 Jul 2005 15:47
Very well said, Harrock n roll!!!!
This is 2005, folks. We should most assuredly be concerned about these issues. A lack of concern on your part worries me, number1fan. You seem to be an intelligent person, someone who would understand why we should be concerned about racism.
I'll explain why it's one of my concerns, if that's alright regarding the moderators.
My family is extremely diverse. Myself, I'm Eastern Band Cherokee, Irish and Melungeon (an ethnic group that only exists in the American Southeast, and is mostly of North African or "Moorish" descent, although it's more visible in my grandmother and great-uncle, who is a dead ringer for one of the guys on the Sopranos.) My mother, from whom I get the Irish and Melungeon, made sure I was taught that racism is simply wrong and not becoming of the young woman I would grow up to be (well, maybe the "grown up" part is debatable LOL.) To be honest, if I was a racist, I'd end up hating at least one part of myself!
Then came my stepdad, Jeff. He's Sicilian, but his family originally came from Andhra Pradesh, in the south of India. That's where I get my other last name---I hyphenate, so my name ends up as Courtney Miller-Rao. Sicily is a mix of all kinds of people as well--you name it, it's there.
Believe me, diversity is a solid thing, and a lot of fun. In the Rao house, it's encouraged to learn all you can about others, and I'm thankful every single day for that. I know this is a long post, and probably off-topic, but it's an important subject---especially for us Tintin fans. Tintin's adventures and ways of learning about others are something my mother used to help me learn these lessons. Think about it--regardless of what/who we are or where we all come from, we're all Tintin fans here. Now THAT is awesome.
Aah, the power of Tintin.

Courtney
number1fan
#43 · Posted: 1 Jul 2005 19:36
i just love tintin so much i want more of it
Harrock n roll
#44 · Posted: 1 Jul 2005 20:42

I think quite a few of us would agree with that sentiment!

Getting back on topic: I have to admit to not having seen many of the EN cartoons but it sounds as if they've needed to cut out some of the more ‘controversial’ elements of the stories. But whilst I can understand the reasons for it - they were created fairly recently and they‘re aimed toward a juvenille market - it is strange that the books are exactly as they are, and sold as ‘children‘s books’. Why do youngsters need to be protected from something in a children’s animation that they can just as easily read in a children’s book? Are there legal requirements governing animations that don’t apply to books?
Danagasta
#45 · Posted: 2 Jul 2005 04:10

Definitely!!!!! It's an addiction ^_^

I think the animation and adaptation laws may apply differently in each country. I should ask Dr. Raucher, my former Communication Law professor, about that when I get the chance.
Courtney
tintin_in_arcata
#46 · Posted: 9 Dec 2006 03:48
Hi

I am an avid Tintin collector, and I am collecting the (Nelvana ellipse) Tintin DVDs. I have a boxed set of 5 DVDs and am ordering the other set(There are ten adventures in all). I was looking at the list of adventures on each DVD and discovered that Tintin in America is not on any of them, even though all of the other adventures are.

I also discovered that when they were originally released, Tintin in America was one of the adventures.

Can someone please tell me why this is?!?
Where is Tintin in America?

Thanks.
number1fan
#47 · Posted: 9 Dec 2006 11:42
It should be there with them all but if you want every single adventure from that series order it from here (URL) i have orded of the before they do worldwide and are quite quick abou it.
tintin_in_arcata
#48 · Posted: 4 May 2007 04:12
I still am really wondering about this.
The link that number1fan gave me was just if you wanted to order from the UK, which I don't. Plus I don't really want to order the whole set for only one adventure.
I'm starting to think that when they re released the boxed sets in the US they didn't put Tintin In America on them because they thought that it was politically incorrect.

If anyone knows anything than please tell me.
Thanks
-Gabe
Briony Coote
#49 · Posted: 2 Jan 2009 02:08
When they released the series, for some reason Tintin in America was made the last episode. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Briony Coote
#50 · Posted: 3 Jan 2009 04:29
I love the Nelvana adaption of Tintin in America. Capone gives Tintin a hard time throughout the episode instead of being disposed of in a few pages. It makes the plotting tighter and makes the gangster element much stronger; in the book it gets too meandering. Frankly, I am glad the Red Indian and Wild West-style lynching scenes were deleted; I find both too stereotyped and silly. I also love the additional scene where Tintin bribes a boy to distract the mob by throwing a baseball through their window.

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!